Chapter 37

Chapter Thirty Seven

After about an hour, the four of us are ready to go.

We head downstairs and I run to let my mom know where I'm going. She smiles and tells me to have a good time as I hug her goodbye.

Erica meets me at the door and says that Lucas is outside so they're leaving.

I walk into the livingroom to get Trace and the kids. He's laying on the couch with Olivia laying on top of him and Dylan sitting on his feet. Her head is on his chest. Her tiny figure looks five times smaller against his large chest. His head's turned to the side watching television like being covered in his little sister and brother is a natural thing for them.

"It's time to go." I say quietly, feeling awkward disrupting their peace.

The kids jump up and Trace rises to his feet.

The four of us load up in the truck and head down the empty streets. Even though it's the middle of a Saturday, this part of town is still empty. Not many people live on this side of town because there isn't much to do over here. The other side of town is where the parties take place. Luckily for me though, I have the ice rink closest to me.

We pull into the parking lot right behind Lucas and there are already two other cars here. Mason, Ethan and Cameron all walk outside to meet us, each wearing a grin.

"We've got the place to ourselves," Cameron smiles.

All eleven of us walk inside and pick out our skates. Cameron was right, other than the man handing us our skates we're the only other people here.

That's another plus about living on the less exciting part of town.

Adalyn and Lucas are the first ones to go onto the ice and they both stumble a few times, using each other for support before getting the feel for it again.

Ethan and Mason go out next and both begin skating like professionals. They turn around on the ice and skate from one side of the ice to the other. Mason pushes Ethan as he skates by, causing him to fall and everyone else to laugh as Ethan smiles and mutters profanities at his friend.

Everyone expect Trace, Dylan, Olivia and I are already on the ice. Trace is still helping Olivia with her skates as Dylan waits for them. My only excuse is that I don't know what I'm doing.

I've never gone ice skating before. I've been roller skating but I hear it's different, harder. Based on the lack of skill I have on four wheeled roller skates, something tells me I won't just be a natural on the ice.

"Ready?" Trace asks and holds out a hand for each of the kids.

They both take a hand before going onto the rink. He helps them for a moment and catches Olivia a few times before she falls. The two of them catch on pretty quickly and I realize they must've done this before.

He lets them go and they skate off to everyone else but Trace doesn't follow. Instead, he turns around to face me, "Are you coming?"

I take a deep breath and nod my head but make no effort to move.

I know it can't be that hard and I'm probably overreacting but in my defense I've fallen on my ass before and it doesn't exactly feel good. Why would I knowingly go onto a platform that I can't move on. Even learning, I'll still fall a few times and I'm not ready for those bruises just yet. I'll be ready in a few minutes... probably?

"You've never done this before have you?" he skates over and gets back onto the concrete floor that I'm stuck on.

"Nope," I say and he smiles before holding out his hand.