Chapter 42

Chapter Forty Two

Hot dogs have so many ways to be cooked. They can be microwaved, grilled or even baked. All are delicious but somehow, the school managed to boil the flavor right out of it.

The mere smell of a hot dog being boiled makes me feel nauseous, it sucks being served one where you have to either eat it or be hungry.

Hot dogs are tasty if cooked properly and this one just isn't.

"Are all of you going to my Halloween party tonight?" Cameron asks as we sit around the lunch table.

"That's tonight?" Adalyn inquires.

"Yea, I thought I told you."

Josephine shakes her head, "No, you didn't. But Erica and I will be going."

A Halloween party? I've never been to a high school party but I doubt I'm missing much. I watch a lot of television and from what I can tell high school parties are always just alcohol, groping, and very loud music.

A Halloween party would just make it all worse cause everyone would be in costumes.

Parties aren't exactly my scene, but it could be fun.

"What about you Trace?" Cameron directs everyones attention to Trace who's just drinking his water bottle, "Are you going?"

He shrugs, "Parties aren't really my thing."

A groan escapes Cameron's lips, "Come on man, you have to be there. It won't be the same without you."

Mason laughs, "Yea, last time you went to a party we all jumped into the pool butt ass naked. It was fun but we can't think of stupid shit to do without you dude."

All the guys let out a chuckle as they recall the memory in their heads. Adalyn rolls her eyes as she remembers as well.

"I'm very capable of thinking of stupid shit for us to do." Ethan retorts and Trace cracks a smile at his goofy friend.

"I can go," Trace shrugs and takes another sip of his water while his friends get happy.

"On one condition," he turns to me "Emma has to go too."

Huh?

Parties are big, wild and chaotic. Three words that automatically turn me off of the idea but then again, I've never been to one.

Anything can be fun with the right company so I can give it a try. I'll go.

"Okay," I say simply and Trace looks at me bewildered.

"You'll go?"

I nod, "Sure."

The bell rings and everyone stands up to toss their trash into the garbage can. Seeing as Trace only has a half-drank water bottle he just stands to the side and waits for Ethan and I to walk to class.

When I meet him we continue walking to theater, "You know I was kidding right? If you don't want to go to the party you don't have to."

I nod again, "I know but I want to go."

We get into the room and the three of us take our normal seats towards the back.

"Okay," Trace tells me with a smirk, "just remember, whatever happens tonight is what you agreed to attend."

~*~*~*~*

After school, Josephine and I run by the costume store to pick out our outfits for later.

She grabs a Navy Sailor costume. It has a white hat with a thin blue line going around the rim. It's a white shirt that has a red, glittery anchor printed on the front and a Navy blue skirt.