Chapter 61

Chapter Sixty One

Traces POV

I quickly made my way to her house. She's only a few blocks away so I managed to get here in less than ten minutes going the speed limit down these neighborhood roads.

Emma runs out with her hair in a ponytail. She's wearing a pair of black athletic shorts with a long pink shirt. It looks like today was her lazy day but to me she's still breathtakingly gorgeous.

She gets in the truck and closes the door slowly, like she's scared it'll fall off if she does it any harder. She always does that, she'll never slam the door. I've never corrected her because I think it's cute.

"What's wrong?" her face softens when she looks at me, probably seeing what I just went through in my eyes.

As soon as her seatbelt is on, I grab her hand and back out of the driveway.

"My old neighbor called and showed me a video she found. It showcased the person who burned my house down." I take a deep breath, not able to believe what I'm about to say, "It was Cameron."

I turn to see her reaction and it matches the one I held once I found out. Her mouth drops open, eyes widen.

"Are you sure?"

I shrug, turning back to face the road, "I'm sure he's the one who set the fire. I'm just not sure he's the one who chose to do it."

"What do you mean?"

"I think someone may have set him up to it. It sounds dumb but that's the only thing I can come up with. It couldn't have been him that did it though Emma, I won't believe it until I hear what he has to say."

From the corner of my eye I can see her staring at me, studying. She needs to look at me right now, like she's trying to figure something out. I just don't know what.

I smile at her and she turns away, hiding the fact she was watching me. She looks down at our hands laced together. Her thumb strokes the back of my hand, that simple gesture feels incredible.

"Emma," she looks up at me, "are you okay?"

She nods instantly, like she was prepared in advance for that question.

"You're lying to me. But if you don't want to tell me what's wrong then you don't have to," she looks away, "right now."

I hold promise in my voice. I intend to find out what's bothering her but if she isn't ready to tell me right now then I'll give it a little bit of time.

Cameron is supposed to be meeting us at an ice cream parlor. When we pull up, it's everyone. All of our friends are chilling in a booth. I can see clearly through the windows from the darkness of the parking lot.

I only called him to meet me. Why the hell is everyone else here? It's not appropriate to talk to him about this around everyone. But I have to find out tonight.

I jump out of the truck and rush to the other side for Emma's door. She beats me to it. I've asked her not to open it because I like to, but she refuses.

My eyes roam to the table they're all sitting at inside. They land on Cameron and I frown. He's smiling, talking with Adalyn. He doesn't know why I wanted to meet with him today but from the looks of things he doesn't seem to care either.

A smooth, soft hand takes mine and I smile. We walk inside together and head to the large booth already filled with our friends.

As soon as I'm face to face with him, I don't waste any time.