Part 9

"J-Jimin ah, what is this?" I stare at my own reflection in bewilderment. My lips are painted into a huge grin & a circle is drawn on each of my cheeks with my bright red lipstick.
"Well, it's obvious, isn't it? Let's go." He smirks as he pulls me out of the room.
"W-Wait. Can you tell me what's going on? Why did you draw me into a clown?"
"You can juggle, right? That's why I invited you, to provide entertainment for my guests." His face turns evil in an instant & my feet stop in fright.
"N-No. I-I don't want to. Let me just leave." I try to escape from his grasp but he holds my wrist even tighter.
"You don't want to embarrass me in front of my friends, do you?" His cold tone chills me to the bone & I helplessly follow him out to the living room.
"Guys, she's ready. The props are there on the table, go grab them." Jimin points at the three red balls on the coffee table with his chin & leaves me alone to join Yeonhee on the couch. He puts his arm around Yeonhee's shoulder & kisses her temple.
Not knowing what to do, I look left & right for an escape, but my feet are frozen on the spot.
"Go on. Show us what you can do." Jimin claps & his friends follow along.
I heavily walk to the table, reluctantly grab the balls, & start juggling them while holding back my tears. Jimin & his friends burst into laughter, making me feel even more humiliated. My vision is blurred by the tears forming in my eyes & I accidentally drop one of the balls.
"Ya Jimin ah, she's not as good as you told us. Hey, can you do another act? Like stand on your hands for example? Or can you tell a joke?" One of the guys say.
"She doesn't need to tell a joke. She's already the biggest joke I've ever seen in my life." Another guy say, causing the rest of the crowd to erupt into a loud cheer.
That is all I can take. I throw the balls onto the floor & rush towards the exit. A hand suddenly snatches my arm & turns me around.
"Where do you think you're going?" Jimin snarls at me.
"Why are you doing this to me? What did I do wrong to you?" I cry.
"What did you do wrong? Huh! Have you forgotten how you humiliated me in front of our classmates back then? I'm just paying you back the favor." He crosses his arms & scoffs. His statement shocks me to the core because I thought he didn't know who I was.
"Y-You knew all along? Why didn't you say anything?"
"I knew that it was you when I first saw you at Chanel. The same Lee Hayoon who trampled all over my heart like it was garbage in high school. I couldn't believe it when I saw you again chatting with Jungkook at the convenience store. So I devised a plan to get my revenge. Do you know how much damage you'd done to me? I almost gave up because of your heartless act. But I guess karma serves you right. How does it feel to be in my position back then? Is it fun?" His voice gets even stonier as he speaks.
"I-I'm sorry, Jimin ah. I've been meaning to apologize to you, but I-"
"Cut the crap. I don't want to hear your excuses. Now enjoy feeling like you're trash. I hope we won't ever see each other again." With that, he pushes me out & slams the door at my face.
I stand there in complete shock for a few moments before I stagger out of the front gate.
I cry all the way home, blaming my old self for being so cruel, hating my current self for being so gullible. On one hand, I hate Jimin for doing what he did, but on the other hand, I truly think that I deserve to be treated this way.
"Ya, what's with your make up? Did you work part time as a clown or something?" My mom asks as I walk in through the door. I've completely forgotten about the stupid clown face Jimin drew on my face.
"Eommaaaaa!" I let out a huge sob & hug my mom.
"Ya ya ya! Your makeup is gonna stain my shirt!" She slaps my shoulder but doesn't push me away.
"What's wrong?" She finally asks in concern after I cry nonstop for a few minutes. So, I tell her the whole story.
"Well, I probably would do the same thing to you if I were him." She shrugs.
"Eomma!" I whine.
"Yoon ah, what goes around comes around. Just think of this as you paying your debt to him. From now on, be a better person & don't repeat the same mistake again. Just quit that job at the convenience store, so you won't have to see him again." She says as she pats my back.
"But what should I do after I quit?"
"I don't know. Maybe start building your confidence again. If you don't believe in yourself, people will forever treat you like a nobody. You can do it, eomma believe in you."
"Eommaaa.. I'll be better. I'll make you proud. I can do it, right?" I hug her again, feeling safe in her embrace.
"Yes, you can, because you're my daughter." She gently says while stroking my hair.
Lee Hayoon, you can do it. Show Jimin that you're not as unworthy as he thinks you are.