Part 12

"Hayoon?"
I stand on the spot, stiff as a statue. The gears in my brain rotate vigorously, formulating a plan to escape this situation. But there's no way out. My cover has been blown.
"Hayoon ah, is something wrong?" Noticing something is off, Youngji eonni gently squeezes my shoulder.
Wait a minute. I haven't done anything wrong. He's gotten his revenge on me. If anything, he should be the one who feels bad. Not me.
I straighten myself up & muster all my courage to take off my mask. Then, I turn around to face Jimin & Youngji eonni with a smile, as confident as I can pretend to be. Jimin's widened eyes show that he is definitely stunned to see me, but he doesn't say a word.
"Nothing's wrong eonni. I'm done touching up Jimin ssi's makeup, so please excuse me." I grab my brushes & bow at them before taking my leave.
I walk out to the corridor, my heart is pounding so fast that it feels like it could explode anytime.
That's right Hayoon. You shouldn't live cowering in fear all the time.

-•-

"That's it guys! Thanks for your hard work, we're done for the day!" The PD speaks into the megaphone.
I quickly gather my things & say my goodbyes. I can feel that Jimin's gaze following me but I pretend to not notice. Just as I'm about to exit the building, someone pushes me to the side.
"Excuse me miss." It's the boys' bodyguard.
Taehyung & Jin whiz past me, slightly nodding their heads at me. Then come Jimin.
He turns his face away from me & keeps it that way until he gets into the van.
Hah! So now you're pretending that I'm invisible? Fine, I don't owe you a thing anymore so let's just be strangers.
I roll my eyes & continue walking.
"Kim Hayoon ssi, you left your bag." Someone suddenly calls out to me.
"Really? Than-" I turn around expecting to see a staff, but instead it's Jungkook who's standing right in front of me.
"It's really you.." He mutters in disbelief.
"H-Hi.." I grimace & awkwardly wave at him.
"Hi? Is that all you have to say after going missing for so long?" His voice rises an octave higher.
"I- I wasn't missing. I just needed some time away."
"You could've told me instead of not answering my texts & calls. I thought something bad had happened to you! The night before you were fine but then when I came the next day for our date you were gone!" He fumes.
"I had my reason, ok? Sorry for not telling you but I thought you wouldn't care!" His incessant scolding starts to get on my nerves.
"I cared! I was worried sick. I thought we were friends, I thought I meant something to you, but apparently I was wrong." He clenches his fist & walks away.
His words stab me right in the center of my heart. He's right. I was being unfair to him.
"Jungkook ah. Jeon Jungkook! Wait!" I run after him & grab his arm to stop him.
"Look, I'm sorry for avoiding you. I should've at least given you a heads up. And sorry for standing you up. I know what I did was wrong, so will you please forgive me?" I plead.
He turns to face me & stares at my face with an unreadable expression.
"Fine. I'll forgive you. Just don't disappear suddenly again, ok?" He exhales deeply.
"Ok. I promise." I breathe a sigh of relief.
"You lost so much weight that you look like a completely different person. I wouldn't have recognized you if I hadn't heard your voice." He says as he scans me from top to bottom.
"Yeah, something happened & I remembered your advice. You told me that if I wasn't happy with myself, I should change."
"Can you tell me what happened? If you want to, that is." He quickly adds.
Should I tell him about Jimin? But I don't want to cause problems between them.
"It's quite a long story. Should we reminisce old times & talk over a cup of ramyeon?" I grin at him.
"Sure. Why not?" His eyes light up & his face breaks into a smile.
My heart flutters seeing his happy face. I actually missed talking to him & I'm glad we can pick up where we left off so easily.
We go into a convenience store near the studio & I tell him pretty much everything that happened. However, I don't tell him that the guy who did all that to me was Jimin.
"Wow, that was rough. I can't believe that guy held a grudge on you for so long. I mean you made mistakes but you were just a kid. He should've just asked you to apologize instead of humiliating you in return. I will beat his ass if I ever see him." He frowns.
"Hahaha, thanks, but you don't have to. Come to think of it, I'm kinda glad that he did that. At least, I don't owe him anything now & the knot in my heart can finally be undone." I smile to myself as I swirl the noodles inside the cup.
Hearing no response from him, I look up & find that he's staring at me intently.
"What? Is there something on my face?" I ask in confusion.
"Huh? Nothing. It's just- Anw, it's getting late. We better go now coz we have the video shoot tomorrow morning, right?" He abruptly stands up & lowers his cap.
"You're right. Let's go now."
We tidy up & exit the store.
"I need to go this way to the bus stop. I'll see you tomorrow then." I say as I wave at him.
"Oh ok. Take care & I'll see you tomorrow." He replies, but he seems to be anxious about something.
Ignoring his weird gesture, I turn around & stroll towards the bus stop.
Suddenly, I feel a presence walking beside me.
"Jungkook? What are you doing?" I exclaim in surprise.
"Ehm.. I just remember that I'm going this way as well." He answers while averting my gaze.
"Oho. If you want to walk me to the bus stop just say so. Don't need to be so shy." I nudge him teasingly.
"N-No. I really need to go this way." He stubbornly denies, his ears turning bright red.
"Yeah yeah." I roll my eyes & chuckle.
"Ya, I'm telling the truth!" He bumps my shoulder with his a little too powerfully, causing me to lose my balance.
"Woah!" I yelp.
"Careful!" He swiftly catches my hand & waist, saving me from falling, & I end up being enveloped in his embrace.
His strong arm circle around my waist, pressing my body against his. I can feel his pounding heart beneath his firm chest muscle underneath my palm. His face is so dangerously close to me that I can count the strands of his long lashes. If he were to pout his lips, they would definitely touch my nose. The whole sensation is too overwhelming, making my heart feel like it's about to come out of my mouth.
"Sorry!" Both of us say in unison & push each other away. Our cheeks blushing fervently.
"Ah, that's my bus! See you tomorrow!" Without waiting for his reply, I dash to the bus stop while silently thanking God for sending the bus right on cue.
As soon as I get on the bus, I clutch my burning cheek & fan myself. I glance out the window & he's still standing right there, waving his palm at me. I quickly look away, pretending not to see him.
It's just Jungkook, for goodness sake. Stop blushing like a high school girl!

-•-