2-Morris University

The 18 hour drive to Morris University went by almost in a flash. We stopped a couple of times to get food and around 9 o'clock we stopped at a motel and slept until about 6am and continued on our way.

Morris University was a HBCU. Meaning it was an historically black college/university. This is exactly why Kamari thinks the only men we'd come in contact with would be men of color but of course that's just what she wanted. The school was located in Atlanta and known for its sports programs, track and field, basketball, football, volleyball, soccer. I mean you name it Morris University had it and they were winning at it.

I didn't care about going to an HBCU, it was all about the track and field program to me until I found out that it is a great opportunity to be surrounded by black culture and history, that I didn't get to experience as much as I would of liked as a kid. A chance to meet so many people from across the globe. It was an experience I have been told and read on Twitter and I was excited to be on my way.

HBCU's were established before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 with the intention of primarily serving the African-American community but in 2020 of course that's all changed, still aiming to serve that particular community they have also expanded to others as well. Morris University was built in 1960 and back then was fairly small but after so many years have passed it had expanded and within the last 2 years had major renovations to the living situation for students.

Kamari and I are roommates along with four other girls. We chatted on an app the school used to match you with the perfect roommates and after a few conversations in a group chat it seemed like the six of us would get on well.

There were already students sitting out on the grass and walking around excitedly wearing shirts that read, Morris Uni Student and the campus was beautifully decorated. As we drove past the gates that led in to the campus, it was like being transported in to another world. Banners strung up, welcoming the new coming students and campus works waving flags that flashed the schools colors which were red and blue.

"You think any crips or bloods go here?" Kamari questions. "Or is the color clash too much?"

"Are you asking me if gang members go to college just because of the school colors?"

"Are you saying college students can't be gang members too?" She shook her head as she took a small turn around a fountain fixture where she was stopped behind a lung of other U-haul trucks.

I didn't get a chance to answer before my door was swung open and I was greeted by a brown skinned girl smiling ear to ear wielding a clipboard.

"Did this bitch ju-"

I shoved at Kamari's arm trying to stop her rude comment.

"Welcome to Morris University! Ladies !" She scanned both of our faces before continuing on. "I am Megan and I'm a R.A at Gaddy Hall and I'm just here to quickly get you two moved in and settled in."

"This is some Disney world shit why are you so happy?" Kamari narrowed her eyes at Megan.

"I'm just happy to be assisting you! Now if you don't mind , could I get both of your names?"

"Niyah Sherwood and Kamari Smith."

It took Megan a moment to look through her clipboard before locating the two of us.

"Oh!" She looked up from her clipboard and shifted her attention to behind the U-haul. "These two are in Jerome Hall! Room 221.."