chapter 19: butterflies

i find myself unable to see, but laid out on a hospital bed. i tried to open my eyes, but that didn't work. i felt a head on my stomach. then i heard a voice. alejandro's voice.

'i don't know if you can hear me, but i need to tell you something. i like you, a lot. i have liked you for a while,' he says. i felt those butterflies dancing around in my stomach. i then regained the ability to open my eyes. i saw his head laying on my stomach, facing away from me. he had a chair pulled up next to my hospital bed.

'if you can hear me could you please let me know by squeezing my hand?' he asks. i heard a hint of desperation in his voice. without hesitation, i squeezed his hand with all the power i had, which was pretty much nothing.

his head perked up to meet mine. his eyes were watering. 'oh my god, you're awake,' he says. 'alejandro,' i begin. 'i really like you, a lot,' i manage to say. he smiles.

suddenly, ximena, alvaro, roshaun, mattia, and kairi came in. 'i thought i was gonna have to tell her myself,' kairi says, making me giggle.

we spent a long time just talking and goofing around. the nurse came in and explained everything. my left leg had been bashed in by zach and would take a while to recover. my right wrist was just bruised, not broken.

i had to spend a few nights in the hospital before being discharged.