Twenty-five

"Can! "

Can thwarted to check who was calling his name. Their professor just ended the class, he waited no further to be on his feet, gathering all his things like a bat out of hell, stuffing them all in his bag sloppily. Dogging his professor's steps in no time without even bothering to leave any words to his friends. He had to hurry or else he'd lose a chance he never had in the first place. There was no way his teacher would accept a late submission of report yet there he was giving it a shot.

"Where are you going? " No asked, it was lunch time, and it was not unusual for them to be walking to the cafeteria together. It was like an unspoken rule, but recently Can has been doing a disappearing act came lunch time. He was always in a hurry to go someplace No, Good, Ae and Type didn't have the slightest idea where. They were hoping to finally get to have him this time before he could slip away again which the guy apparently has been doing. Also, Can owed them lunch. They decided a free meal for the next few weeks till his debt-free from the bet they had on their last game. Their stomach growled at the thought of free food. Why wouldn't it if food was ten times more delicious when it's free?

Can slowed down, letting his friends caught up to him — adjusting the bag on his shoulder and hand on the folder, anxious, but managed to give them a courteous nod. "What? "

"Where are you going? " Ae asked this time, butting in, and in a teasing mode. "Are you running away from us again? "

Can squinted his brow, pouting. He hoped it was really the case, but not. "I need to convince our prof to let me submit this paper. " looking at the folder in his hand, Can's mood soured.

"Was that the report due at 8 this morning? " Good calmly inquired.

"Yes, "

"Good luck, though I'm a hundred percent sure, you'll be rejected. " Ae said as a matter of factly.

"Thank you, that's encouraging. I couldn't ask for a more supportive friend than you. " smirking, Can retorted laced with sarcasm.

Ae shrugged, they knew it was hopeless to even try. Mr. Thanin has always been strict with deadlines, and unless it's a matter of life and death, he accepted no excuses. His reason was the report or whatever homework and project he gave his students, he always give them in advance — two weeks or so. There shouldn't be any reasons a student wouldn't be able to hand it in on time.  Can understood it, and it was his fault.  He forgot it so he had to rush home to get it — causing him the delay. He wanted to blame the traffic, but if he would really think about it, it would all boil down to him— being entirely his fault. The day had started bad, and it seemed going to go worst real fast.

With that in mind, he realized he need not more delay. "I have to go. "

No grabbed him by the wrist before he could waltz out. "Come to the cafeteria after for lunch if you don't want us kicking your butt. "

Can nodded, and ran like a flash — leaving his friends shaking their heads.

Can heard his friends laughing from distance, it highlighted his gloomy mood inside even more. His professor outright rejected his report, without even looking at it. He wasn't doing well at his class that losing points from the report would hurt his standing even more. He didn't really aim to be the top in the class, just the average, but why was it even hard to do? Soulless, Can strutted towards his friends who ceased at bantering after seeing him.

"Can, how was it? " No asked immediately, concerned, he somewhat had an idea at Can's dilemma especially his standing.

"The question should be.. how long was his lecture about being responsible, and I'm sure he advised you that if you can't be responsible at small things, in the future, it is going to be difficult for you in the real world when you're working when the competition is cut-throat. People will step on you if you don't do your best. " Type lengthy cut in.

All heads turned to him with their jaw slightly down, various expressions were shown: surprised, mocking, suspicious, and judgement. How could Type known it all, if it wasn't a firsthand experience.

"What? " Type feigned an ignorance.

"How many times did you miss the deadline? " Good asked.

Type counted in his head, "Three? "

"You? " Good turned to Can to ask him.

"Just this one, "

Ae deducted the situation in his head, "It means you're still good. You ain't failing if Type didn't. "

"Hey, " Type's tone countered, "At least I ace the exam. "

Can looked at his friends apprehensive, "It's out? " referring to Me. Thanin's exam result.

They nodded in sync. "And? " Can pried.

"Better.. " Ae said. Can seemed to see a bright light for the first time today, if he did well at it, then he's not yet a loser. With that thought in mind, everything felt lighter. "Better drop out on this subject, and enroll again next semester. "

It wasn't that easy, his mom would have his head for failing — not to mention Lemon, who'd definitely going to use to relentlessly taunt him. Moreover, he didn't want to repeat it. In his opinion, it was a waste of time and money. Can's mood soured even more. He dropped his head on the table, and sprawled his arms over. He was extremely disappointed at himself for being so careless. Can was filled with disappointment, anger, but mainly gloomy. Why did he have to forget his project? Why didn't he check his bag before leaving? And, moreover, why did he have to be so stupid?

He was in the middle of scolding himself inside next to his friends whose making fun of his misery when his phone buzzed in his pocket. He wasn't in the mood for anything, but his phone might be a good distraction. He sluggishly fished it out, and check the message.

Guess, what I'm wearing now? - Tin

He was caught off-guard at a sense of joy traversed throughout Can's heart, his annoyance slowly dissipated, the dark clouds looming over his head earlier suddenly cleared up just hearing from Tin. He couldn't help, but curve his lips into a thin smile as he typed his reply in no time.

Your birthday suit? — Can

Can teased him. He didn't know where he found the urge for he thought he was lacking of energy and enthusiasm just a few seconds ago, yet he was already game for a banter session with Tin.

Nope. — Tin

Then, what? — Can

The smile you gave me.. — Tin

Can's thin smile turned into a wide one before he could type his retort, another message from Tin popped out.

..but I like how you think of me naked. 😍 — Tin

The comfort Tin gave him amidst the storm he was in inside was overwhelming. If he was unsure before, at that moment, though it was weird and scary to see someone intrude so deep into his being, Can knew he was in love.

--

Thoughts?