13

INT. LADY TREMAINE'S OFFICE - DAY

Merida slouches in the chair before Lady Tremain's desk.

LADY TREMAINE

Thieves seem to be alarmingly abundant behind these walls. Do you have anything to say for yourself?

MERIDA

What's the point? It never matters.

LADY TREMAINE

Very well. Your punishment is to polish the equipment you fancy so much until you can see every detail of your untamed mane on every surface. Carry along.

INT. SPORTS EQUIPMENT CLOSET - DAY

With a bucket and rag in hand, Merida opens the door to the sports equipment closet and halts.

A handful of other girls stop what they're doing, swords, shields and other weapons frozen midair, their frolicking battle interrupted. Merida savors the sight of it. Her bucket drops to the floor.

MERIDA

Mind if I join you?

INT. DANCE STUDIO - DAY

Dance instructors LUMIÈRE and FIFI stand before the student dancers.

LUMIÈRE

You all were inspiring, truly. Some more than others.

His eyes flick over to Drizella and Anastasia who cling onto each other in anticipation.

LUMIÈRE

We shall deliberate and you will know if you have made the team by--

Cinderella runs into the dance studio wearing dazzling dance attire. Aurora waits outside the window.

CINDERELLA

Wait! Please! I want to audition.

DRIZELLA

She can't do that.

ANASTASIA

She's late. It's against the rules.

FIFI

At Highcastle, everyone is allowed an opportunity to showcase their potential. (to Cinderella) Make the most of it.

CINDERELLA

Thank you.

She looks at Aurora. Aurora starts the music. Cinderella closes her eyes, takes a breath, and dances. It's magical. Jacques stands to attention. He recognizes those moves.

JACQUES

It's her.

Anastasia and Drizella exchange horrified looks. This cannot be happening. All eyes are on Cinderella as she moves, in her element. In slow motion, she leaps into the air, soaring. Born for this moment.

INT. DINING HALL - NIGHT

Mulan is discussing strategy with Li as they head out of the dining hall.

MULAN

Getting that flag is impossible for me. I don't understand how you make it look so effortless.

LI

Lots of practice, scars, and an unfortunate amount of splinters. You'll get it eventually. You just have to do what works best for you.

Kronk and Kuzko join them.

KRONK

Hey, you guys want to chill in my chamber tonight? Party at Kuzko's.

MULAN

Sorry, I can't. Beat from practice.

KUZKO

Don't be such a baby. Hey, let's take a selfie of the newest legends of Highcastle. Those other teams don't stand a chance.

He takes out his phone and pulls Mulan in for the shot, Kronk and Li crowding around them. Mulan tries to squirm out of the shot as Kuzko goes to click the Magic Mirror Camera.

MULAN

Maybe some other time. I'm a mess.

KUZKO

We can't all be this handsome. Prince Kuzko on three. One, two...

The camera focuses on their faces, identifying them. Identifying Mulan.

KRONK

Camera must be busted. That says Mulan. Clearly, that's Uh.

The boys look at her, confused.

LI

Mulan?

Mulan stares back at him, lost for words.