4| The Celebration

That evening, the Resistance celebrated. It was unlike any celebration the galaxy had seen since the Rebels' victory over the Empire. The night sky was painted with light as fireworks exploded above them.

The celebration had spread through the galaxy, across the stars and the space between them.

On Endor the Ewoks' bondfires blazed once more, and on Naboo the lakes were ablaze with lanterns that floated on the surface of the water. Dancing and singing filled the galaxy with a joy so strong that Rey could feel it through the Force. She couldn't help but smile as she felt the overwhelming joy of thousands of souls now set free. And she knew that unlike before, Palpatine was truly gone never to return again.

All evening Finn had been looking for an opportunity to talk to Rey alone, but it always seemed that they were surrounded by others. Rey always had someone asking what had happened... how she had been able to defeat Palpatine, but she never seemed open to the topic.

Finn felt someone tap his shoulder. He turned around to see Jannah standing behind him. "General Calrissian spoke to me, he promised to help me find where I came from. Do you want to come too? He could probably help you find where you came from too."

"I don't know, Jannah," he answered.

"Who knows... maybe you have a family out there somewhere."

"The Resistance is my family," he answered.

Jannah placed her hand on his shoulder. "You know that the Resistance fighters will probably leave to start their own lives now that the war is over, don't you? Everyone's going to go back home... except us, don't you want a home to go back to?"

"Yes," he admitted. He looked over at Rey and Rose who were both talking to Poe. "But what about Rey and Rose... and Poe? They don't have a home either, I can't just leave them."

"They can come too, I'm sure Lando wouldn't mind."

Finn smiled, "I'll talk to them about it."

She smiled, and hugged him. "Thank you."

Finn smiled hugging her in return.

"I heard what happened," said Rose

"I heard what happened," said Rose. "How did you do it... how did you defeat Palpatine alone?"

"I wasn't alone," she whispered.

"You weren't? Who..." Poe began, but was cut off as Finn came over and slapped his back.

"Why don't we talk about that later? Rey deserves to enjoy the evening, without having to recall the events of the battle. It probably wasn't an easy thing to experience," Finn said. He knew that Palpatine was her grandfather, and facing him couldn't have been easy for her.

Rey gave him a small, grateful smile.

Poe quickly dropped the topic, remembering what Finn had said... that he had felt her die. "We're just glad that you're back."