3| The Wookiee

Rey walked back towards the Resistance base, forcing herself not to think about what she'd felt, it was something that she wanted to be alone to think about.

She looked around at all of the smiling faces. Perhaps none of them would ever know that Ben had come back, but the ones who cared about him most knew the truth, and that was all that mattered.

Just then, Rey saw a tall furry figure that stood out above the crowd. There was still someone who cared about Ben that didn't know... and he deserved to know the truth. Rey made her way through the crowd towards the Wookiee.

Rey went over to Chewbacca, he was talking to Maz, and Rey noticed a gold medal around his neck. The Wookiee growled excitedly and leaned down to hug Rey.

Chewie let out a series of noises, telling Rey about his medal.

"For destroying the Death Star?"

Chewbacca growled, nodding.

"That's amazing," Rey replied, smiling at him.

Chewbacca groaned again, speaking in his native language.

"It was Han's?" Rey's smile had faded and her heart was heavy. How could she tell Chewbacca that Han's son was dead? "Chewie, there's something I have to tell you."

Chewbacca looked at her, and from the look in his eyes she could tell that he knew that whatever she needed to tell him wasn't good.

"It's about...Ben," she began. "Han's son... he came back he turned back to the Light Side."

Chewbacca grew excited, he had waited for years for Ben to come back. He was like a nephew to him and he was the only part of Han and Leia that he had left. And since his parents weren't here to welcome him back and make sure he felt at home in the Resistance, Chewie promised that he would.

Rey noticed that he was looking around the Resistance base, he seemed to be expecting to see Ben.

Rey put her hand on his fuzzy shoulder. "He's gone..." she whispered. "He died saving me."

Chewbacca let out a scream of pain, he could still remember carrying him on his shoulders as a small boy. The Wookiee looked down at the girl, seeing the tears in her eyes. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a warm fuzzy hug. He stroked her hair, messing it up slightly.

Rey felt Maz slip her hand into her's. "Oh child, he's not gone...he's finally home and he will always be with you."

Rey nodded, smiling, she knew that she was right.

Chewbacca reached into his satchel and took something out. He looked down at the shiny pair of dice in the palm of his hand... Han's dice. There was nothing he would trade for them. They had belonged to his best friend since childhood, Leia had cherished them while Han was gone, and they had been Ben's favorite thing to play with as a young child. He looked at Rey and wondered if she would cherish them as Leia had, now that Ben was gone. And he knew how much Han and Leia meant to her. He decided that there was one thing he was willing to trade the dice for... for Rey to be happy again, to see her smile once again.

Chewbacca took Rey's hand, and laid his furry one over it. As he formed her hand into a fist, Rey felt something hard and cool to the touch in her palm. Chewbacca moved his hand and Rey looked down at her hand to see a pair of bronze dice with intricate designs on all sides.

As she held the dice, visions of the memories attached to them flashed before her eyes.

She saw a teenage boy zooming through the streets of a rundown city on a speeder. He laughed and Rey recognized him, it was Han.

The vision changed and she saw him a little older flying the Millennium Falcon with Chewie. Behind them sat a beautiful young woman with long brown hair that was put up into buns on either side of her head. Rey recognized her, it was Leia. Sitting next to her was a teenaged boy with dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. Rey barely recognized him, but somehow she knew that it was Luke.

A new scene appeared, she saw Han and Leia standing facing each other. Han placed the dice in Leia's hand. "I'll be back soon, sweetheart." Rey heard him tell her, then she watched as Han turned and boarded the Millennium Falcon.

Then she saw a young boy no older than two sitting on the floor of the Millennium Falcon playing with the dice. He had dark curly hair, Rey could see Han and Leia standing in the background. She smiled... it was Ben.

A new vision appeared and Rey saw Luke and Leia as she remembered them, slightly wrinkled from many years of both joy and sorrow. Leia was sitting in the base on Crait as her twin brother approached.

"My son is gone," Leia said sadly and Rey felt her heart break. She wished that Leia could have lived to see her son come home, but somehow she knew that Leia had been there with Ben the whole time.

Rey watched, trying to hold back the tears as Luke placed the dice in Leia's hand. "No one's ever really gone," he whispered.

Luke and Leia slowly faded from her vision and she saw Ben kneeling where they had been moments before. He picked up the dice, and looked down at them in his hand. The look on his face broke her heart and she noticed a single tear slip down his cheek, tracing the scar she'd given him.

The vision slowly dissolved, and she clenched the dice in her hand, holding them close to her heart. She closed her eyes and allowed the tears to slip from her eyes and slide down her cheeks.

She opened her eyes and looked up at the Wookiee, offering him a warm smile. "Thank you, Chewie."

Did you know?

Did you know?

... some Force users have a special ability that causes them to see visions of the previous owners and events surrounding an object. Especially an item like a weapon or something that was very special to the previous owner such as Han's dice.

What do you think?

~ Do you think it was hard for Chewie to give up Han's dice?