Chapter Seventeen

As always, none of this is mine. This belongs to Stephenie Meyer. I just like to dabble in the playground she created.

When I started writing this, I had one idea, but it morphed into something else. So yeah, major cliffie. I promise not to leave you hanging. My hope is that by the time I post this, I can post the next update the following week.

Chapter Seventeen

Bella

"What's taking so long?" Alice asked, rubbing her belly. "I want my hamburger. And macaroni salad, potato salad, fruit salad ... "

"You are obsessed, Alice," Lauren chided, with a wry snicker. She cast a judgmental look to Alice, who was all belly. Some of it was due to the baby. The rest of it was due to Alice just enjoying too much food and being on bed rest since she was so tiny in comparison to her daughter growing in her belly. "Why don't you have a piece of celery?"

"Are you calling me fat?" Alice growled, glowering at Lauren. Emmett walked over to Lauren and guided her down the dock overlooking the lake.

"Both of you, behave," I snapped. "They'll get here when they get here." I handed Alice a glass of lemonade before I walked to the chaise where Esme was sitting with Charlie, Uncle Jimmy and Sue.

Carlisle was manning the grill, cooking brats, hamburgers and hot dogs. He was sipping a beer while he flipped the meats on the grill. Leah and Claire were on the dock, talking with Lauren and Emmett, dipping their toes in the water.

I smiled, happy at my family enjoying a quiet holiday. It had been years since I'd last remembered a moment like this. I think the last time I'd enjoyed a barbecue was when my father was alive. My cell phone rang from my back pocket of my cutoff jeans. I rolled my eyes, walking back into the house and picked up my phone, not looking at the caller ID. "You better be on your way home, Capo."

"Not Edward," Jacob said, his voice low and trembling. "Bella ... I ..."

"What happened?" I asked. "Is everything okay? Talk to me."

"The meet went sideways. Both Jasper and Edward were hit, Bella," Jacob growled. "We're on the way to Moretti's office in the Consortium headquarters. Felix and Liam are on their way to pick you and Alice up. Liam will stay with the family, because we need Carlisle and Emmett."

"Is it bad?" I sniffled, wiping my cheeks.

"I'm not going to lie, Bells. It's bad," Jacob said softly. "I'm sorry."

"I'm on my way," I said, walking shakily to the garage. I swiped the keys to Edward's Volvo.

"Bells, you can't ..." Jacob said. "Maas, your mom, they're still factors and you can't be on your own."

"Don't tell me what the fuck to do," I snapped back. "I'm coming and that's final." I opened the garage door, sliding into the driver's seat of the car. I was backing out of the garage when Carlisle came running around to the front. His eyes were swirling with concern. I rolled down the window. "Want a ride?"

"Bella, you can't just leave," he said. "Edward would completely lose his shit if something happened to you. What about Charlie?"

"Well, something happened to my husband. I need to be there for him, for me!" I rasped. "Charlie is with Uncle Jimmy, Sue and Esme, safe with them. I need to be with Edward. Jacob said it was bad. I can't ... I need to be with him. I need to know that he's okay. Get in the god damned car or get the fuck out of my way, Carlisle. I love you and respect you, but ..."

"Okay, figlia," Carlisle said, walking to the passenger seat. He slid inside the car, slamming the door.

I spun out of the driveway and made my way to the city. My father-in-law called Esme and told her that we were running an errand. I arched a brow at his lie, but after the call, he said that didn't want to panic his wife. He also contacted Felix and Liam, who were still driving to the house. He told them to tread carefully, not to raise suspicion. Liam was still planning on staying, while Felix would drive Alice and Emmett to Moretti's office upon his arrival.