Chapter 6: The Morning After

The next morning, Marinette woke up exhausted. A lot had happened in a single day. Adrien was back, and he was Chat Noir. Chat Noir though, was not back, and probably wouldn't be. The Akuma didn't take too long to defeat, but enough that she didn't get a ton of sleep.

Marinette dreaded seeing Adrien again today, now that he knew who she was, and vice versa. Most of all, she dreaded seeing him because she was furious with him. He had told her that he wasn't coming back. Chat Noir would never fight alongside her again. Being the new guardian, she could always ask for his Miraculous back, but she didn't want a new Chat Noir. She wanted her Chat Noir. For now though, she didn't want Adrien or Chat Noir. She intended to not speak to him at all today.

She got dressed in a casual outfit; mom jeans, black cropped tank top, and her red Doc Martens. She then put her, now long, hair in a basic messy bun with light makeup. Marinette went downstairs and pushed Adrien far out of her mind.

"Salut, Marinette." Her Papa said.

"Salut Papa, Maman!" Marinette said with exaggerated enthusiasm. "Comment allez-vous?" Asked the bluenette.

"Tres bien. Merci Marinette." Her parents answered.

The girl sat down at a table outside of the bakery. They had recently renovated and now there was seating inside and outside. She was eating a fresh croissant she had grabbed from the bakery when she heard the bell indicating that there were five minutes until class started. She picked up her backpack and shouldered it. As she walked across the street to the école secondaire she munched on the remaining half of her croissant. As she walked up the steps to the main entrance she heard a car pull up behind her.

Marinette began to turn around, turning on her toes. But as she turned, her legs got twisted together and she started to fall. She closed her eyes, prepared for impact, but it never came. Instead, she opened her eyes to see her savior, knowing all too well who it was. Bluebell eyes met electric green.

"Careful little lady!" Adrien said cheekily looking at the blue haired girl in his arms.

Marinette's brow furrowed and she hit Adrien's chest. "Let go of me!" She said hitting him again.

"Sorry...," he muttered as he set her down gently.

"Don't talk to me. I can't believe that you have the audacity to act like nothing happened last night!" Marinette yelled at him with tears threatening to spill over and out of her eyes.

"Marinette. Please , you have to understand that-"

"I understand that you're a coward." Marinette said as she turned around and walked away.

Adrien watched as she walked away. If only she knew why he couldn't go back. Maybe she would understand.

"Rejected again?" Plagg commented, peeking his small, black head out of his place in the bag.

"Oh Plagg, I just can't tell her." Adrien sighed.

"You'll have to tell her eventually, kid."

"I know, I'm just not ready yet. Let's get to class. I'm going to be late to English." Sighing again, Adrien hurried off to class.