Chapter 11: Gabriel Agreste

“What? I think I misheard you Adrien. It sounded like you said that your father. Gabriel Agreste. Is Hawkmoth.” Adrien knew that on the inside Marinette wasn’t as calm as she wanted to look. He’d seen that look on Ladybug far too many times. She gave that look to civilians when she was actually afraid of the outcome of their fights. When she was worried that they wouldn’t make it out of the fight.

“Hey,” Adrien scooted closer to Marinette and placed his hand on her knee, rubbing it slightly, “it’s okay to be afraid. I know that you don’t just wear a mask as Ladybug. You hide your emotions to make sure that you don’t worry others, but I’ve known you too long to be fooled by it. Sometimes it helps to drop your facade and let your emotions come through.” The two were looking at each other now, eyes locked, each with a slight blush painted on their faces.

“How can you say you know me, when you’ve been gone for two years? I’ve changed Adrien, more than you can possibly know. I was weak before, I was weak and I needed a partner. I haven’t been that way for quite some time.” Marinette’s face had fallen, saddened by what she was saying. “You might have been right about this, but you don’t know me anymore Adrien.”

“Marinette, you may have changed, but deep down, you still have the same core values. I’m sorry I’ve been gone for so long, but I know that the Mari I knew isn’t gone, she is just stronger and has put more walls up.” Adrien said it with conviction, he knew that this was true.

For a bit, Marinette didn’t say anything, how could Adrien know her so well? He’d been gone, yet she knew deep down that he knew her more than anyone. But did she know him? His father was Hawkmoth, yet he didn’t tell her for two years. He left her without telling her. It felt so one sided, he knew her, but she didn’t know him.

“You didn’t tell me about your dad…” Marinette whispered.

“What? Sorry, I couldn’t hear you?” He said, confused.

“You didn’t tell me about your dad. It took you two years. Why?” 

“I was scared, I was afraid to tell you because you didn’t know that he was Chat Noir’s dad. But then, all of a sudden you knew who I was, but you were mad at me, so it took me longer to tell you than I expected. I apologize though. I should have told you sooner. Maybe if I had, Hawkmoth would be gone by now.” Adrien had known that she would have been mad about him not telling her, but she had asked him so calmly. That was Marinette for you though, she kept a very calm presence that he had always found soothing. Her calmness lowered his stress levels quite a bit allowing him to answer just as peacefully.

“I think I understand where you were coming from Adrien. I wish you had told me sooner of course, but I understand that would have been hard. I know a thing or two about not being able to tell people things because of fear. Now, the big question is, how am I going to defeat your father. He is incredibly strong. Of course, I have access to all the Miraculous, so I can recruit plenty of people. But this fight is going to be major, and I don’t want too many people involved.” Marinette continued to plan out loud. “I’ll of course use Carapace and Rena Rouge, but should I use Chloe? Since she helped Hawkmoth she has become, well, fairly docile. She keeps to herself, but I can tell that she has tried to improve herself. I’ll have to give that some more thought. Without you, it’ll be a bit harder, but I will always have the advantage of numbers. I think if we can subdue Mayura then that will make the fight easier.” While Marinette was lost in thought, Adrien was trying to get her attention.

“Marinette…”

“Once we have her out of the way, it’ll just be your father. That will be when we catch him off guard, alone. I think the best way to fight him will be with the mouse and ladybug Miraculous unified. That way…”

“Marinette!” Adrien said with a bit more urgency.

“What is it Adrien?”

“You won’t be fighting without me, Marinette. Not anymore. I can’t let you fight my father alone.” Adrien said, grabbing Marinette’s hands between his own, much larger hands.

“You mean…”

“I do, Chat Noir will be fighting right next to you in the final battle, and we will win. Together. The way we should always be.” As he said it Marinette pulled him into a hug, resting her head on his chest. Finally, they were back.