Chapter 17: Picnic

“No way.” Alya spoke slowly, “No way!”

“Hey Alya!” Marinette said, slightly waving her hand at Alya and giggling.

“So, you’re Dupain-Cheng. I honestly would never have guessed it. Same with you Adrien, I grew up with you, and I never saw this side of you.” Chloé stepped forward and hugged Adrien, who hugged her in return. This was the side of Chloé that Adrien grew up with, and he was very happy to be seeing it again.

“Dude? Dudette? This is insane, my best friends were Ladybug and Chat Noir? Also, side note, I think you guys killed Alya.” They all looked over at Alya who was staring at them, awestruck.

“I’m fine,” Alya said coming out of her trance, “this is just so crazy, it’s hard to wrap my head around it.”

“Well, while you try and process, we have one other surprise, will you go grab it Adrien?”

“Yep!” Adrien ran over to one of the ivy and graffiti covered walls and grabbed the things for the picnic, and ran back over to the group.

“We planned a picnic!” Marinette exclaimed.

“Dudette, that’s awesome, thanks!” Nino walked up and gave Marinette a hug, before going to help Adrien with the quilt.

“Wow, you guys are too good to us.” Alya said, still in some sort of a trance.

“Hey, Marinette?”

“What’s up Chloé?” Marinette said sweetly

“I know I shouldn’t be doing this after I’ve learned that you’re my idol, but I wanted to apologize. Years ago I was a terrible bully to you, and you didn’t deserve that, although, you could hold your own against me. After I joined forces with Hawkmoth I was angry with everyone, I even went to New York to try and get away from myself, I was toxic. I set out on a path to better myself, and I’m so glad you were there to see it. Many people believed I was just faking to get people to like me, but you didn’t. I am so sorry for all the things I have done to you, as Marinette, and as Ladybug. Even before I changed, you trusted me enough to be a hero, now I want to prove to you that I can be a hero with a mask and without.  Thank you Marinette, I hope to one day be able to call you my friend.”

“That day is today, Chloé, although the things you have done in the past can’t easily be expunged, but you aren’t defined by those actions in the past, you are defined by who you are on the inside. I was always able to see your internal fight with yourself, you wanted to be good, but you didn’t have the best role models, that’s why I knew you could be a hero, that’s why I trusted you with my life.  I have to thank you for saving me time and time again, we would’ve lost to Hawkmoth a long time ago, if it weren’t for you. You made an excellent hero.” Marinette was smiling now, as she stepped forward to hug Chloé, who was caught off guard by the hug, but soon returned it.

The girls released the hug and walked over to the others.

“What’s the haul Adrien, did my parents send the whole store?” Marinette asked, knowing her parents all too well.

“Basically, we have plenty of macarons, cookies galore, some rosemary sourdough,” Adrien continued to list off the items in the basket, “Croissants, Kouign Amann, and a few pieces of  Gâteau St. Honoré.”

“Dang, that basket must be bottomless.” Alya joked.

“The Tom and Sabine Boulangerie Pâtisserie never disappoints.” Nino stated knowingly.

“Let’s eat!” Adrien exclaimed excitedly.

The group of Parisians sat down and were the personification of the phrase, eat and be merry. They recounted their past successes and Adrien caught them up on his life over the past two years. They talked about the lengths that they went to to keep their identities safe, and were shocked to learn the identities of Hawkmoth and Mayura. No one, other than Ladybug when she found the grimoire, had ever even considered the fact that Gabriel Agreste and his very femme fatale assistant were the terrorists of the city of Paris.

Alya and Nino talked about all the times they thought the two were completely crazy for running off during the akuma attacks, although Alya had her fair share of occurrences of running towards danger rather than away from it. Chloé made sure that she apologized to everyone for all the nasty things she had done, proving more and more that she had changed for the better.