2

Erika

It was quiet. I tapped my fingernails on my coffee mug while he sat there, looking at me.

"So how've you been jack?" I asked trying to make conversation. I didn't know what else to do. I was purely shocked to see him. He looked the same. He had the same hair, same style, same look. But I knew he was older.

"Umm I've been good, all time low came out with a couple new albums since then...lots of touring. Nothing really new. How bout you?" He asked.

"Raising a 4 year old." He laughed and nodded. "I'm going to nursing school." I said, he smiled and patted my arm. "I'm happy for you Erika that's awesome I'm glad your doing what you want."

It became quiet again and it seemed to be more tense than before. Payton running into the kitchen broke the tension and ran up to me. "Momma! Doc McStuffins is on can I watch it?"

"Of course baby i'll put it on for you." I held up a finger signaling jack to wait. He nodded and I walked into the living room with Payton in my arms. "Momma, I feel like I know your friend." Payton said out of the blue.

I froze from the tv and turned around. "Where'd you get that honey?" I asked slowly. She shrugged and waited for me to finish turning the channel. "Just a feeling." And it was in that moment that I knew I had to tell Jack. But not now. Now wasn't the time. I would tell him when I'm ready.

I kissed Payton's forehead and walked back into the kitchen. "Erika?" I looked up at Jack and saw his concerned face. "Hmm?"

He was quiet just looking at me for a little while. He looked nervous to say the least. "Can you tell me more about Payton?" He asked.

I stood there for a minute trying to process what he was saying. He wanted to know about our daughter. But I couldn't tell him he was her father yet. But if I started talking about her it's bound to slip out.

"I-um yeah sure. What do you wanna know?" I asked. It was my way of stalling.

"Everything." Well it was a nice attempt.

"What exactly do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean exactly what I said. Tell me the story." He said.

I took a couple deep breaths and reminded myself not to give any subtle hints that he was the father.

"Well I was 18, and it was recently after my graduation..." I tried to come up with a lie but I couldn't make myself go through with it so I just went with it.

"I met a guy...at a party...we were both pretty piss drunk. I don't remember much after that, but I do know that I got pregnant from him." He was leaning on his elbows, seemingly really intrigued about my story.

"Tell me everything not just about that." He said and snapped his fingers. I rolled my eyes and laughed.

"As soon as I found out about my pregnancy I knew I had to tell my dad. I was so scared he would disown me or like kill me. But he didn't..he was just extremely angry at the guy. He helped me find a place to live which is here where he pays half the bills and I pay the other half with my savings. And I had no one except for my dad during my pregnancy. Sabrina was in Germany, studying abroad. And I couldn't take it to face any of you guys in fear."

He looked sad. I don't know why though. He grabbed my hands and pressed his lips to them. "You can always come to me." He said and held my hands the rest of the story.

"Well 9 months later on February 18th at 6:52 in the morning Payton Elizabeth Carlile was born." I finished and jack smiled. "Such a beautiful name for a beautiful little girl." He said.

"Can you tell me something Erika? And be honest." He asked.

I grew more nervous than I already was. He's gonna ask who her father is I just know it.

"I know you were scared and everything but you should've know I wouldn't do anything. Why didn't you come to me." He asked.

I blew out a sigh of relief I didn't even know I was holding and smiled. "I was 18 I didn't really have a clear mind. All I thought about was the fact I was pregnant, not anything else like that." I said. He nodded and looked down at his cup again.

"So any girlfriends lately Jack?" I asked.

"I ummmm yeah...I was gonna tell you this later but I guess now is as good as time as any..." He started.

"Just spit it out already!" I said excitedly.

"I'm getting married..."

What.