Erika

Alex was smiling like an idiot the entire I told him what happened just 5 days ago. But that was 5 days ago.

"Did you sleep with him?" He asked.

I looked down at my hands and wrung them together and shrugged. Truth be told, yes. I did. But it's not how I intended things to happen.

It was just passed dinner time and Payton was upstairs getting her pajamas on while I washed dishes. "See momma look I told you I could do it all by myself." She said as she came down stairs in her footies and teddy bear.

I held up my hand for a high five and let her watch tv in the living room while I put dishes away.

The doorbell rang and I quickly took the dish towel with me so I could open the door. When I opened the door Jack stood there soaking wet from the rain outside.

"Get in here. Stupido, why are you out in the rain." I said and pulled him in.

"I had to see you." He said and kissed me. "I missed you." He said as he kissed my neck.

"Jack Payton's in the next room, I can't..." I said

"Can't what?" He said. He wasn't making things any easier.

"Can't....ugha bugga Jack." I said

"Did you just say..ugha bugga?" He stopped and looked at me. I nodded and bit my lip, a habit that has grown onto me.

"Don't do that." He warned and pointed to my lip. To be honest I couldn't help it. He lifted me up over my shoulders and carried me upstairs. "Jack I have to clean, I can't." I said as I laughed.

"Cleaning can wait, I have needs." He said. I laughed and dropped the dish towel.

"My home girl got it in!" Alex yelled as I finished the story. I blushed and looked down. "I guess you could say that." I whispered.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked. I shrugged again and played with my hands. "Erika c'mon I know that look." I sighed and turned my body towards him.

"I just...I'm scared." I started. He looked at me urging me to continue.

"Alex, he's getting married in 9 days. I don't want to be the affair. Can I be honest with you." He nodded and held my hands

"You can tell me anything honey." He said as he rubbed my hand.

"I don't want to be the affair. I want to be the wife." I whispered. He looked at me and smiled. "I know, maybe you should talk to him about it." He suggested. "NO! I can't tell him that, he might run away, or never talk to me again, I can't do that and especially to Payton." I said and waved my hands around.

"I'm being so selfish to because just the thought of him,"

"Erika."

"Being with someone else makes me extremely."

"Erika."

"Sad I don't know if I can do it. I think that maybe I should break it or just suffer through the fact that"

"ERIKA!"

I snapped my head up from my ramble. And looked straight into his eyes. "Yeah?"

"I know honey I know you're worried, and that all you want is for Payton to have a good family and for everything to be ok! I get it! But we have bigger problems right now." He said. I scoffed and crossed my arms.

"Like what?" I said.

"Like maybe the fact that jack just heard what you said because he was behind you and then dropped the flowers he was holding and ran out of the house after you mentioned that you don't wanna be the affair, you wanna be the wife." I quickly turned around and saw white roses on the floor and the door wide open.

I sat there staring at the blank space. I can't believe he just heard all of that. I put my head in my hands and sighed. "What are doing?" alex asked

"contemplating life." I said and sat there. "No you're not." He said.

"Yeah i kinda.-" he put a hand over my mouth and shushed me "i don't care if you just got home from war get your ass in that car and drive to find him...if i know anything about him, he'll be at the park." I rushed to pull on shoes and a coat.

"Now go. I'll watch Pay."

The whole drive to the park was painful thoughts. "I can't believe he heard that. I just risked everything." I whispered. I got out of the car and looked around. The pouring rain didn't help with my looking, but I soon found a figure sitting on the bench.

I walked over to it and sat down. "I'm so sorry Erika."

"It's ok." I said.

"I shouldn't have done this in the first place. If anything I was being selfish. You didn't deserve it." He said.

"Just cut to the chase Jack. Less suffering." I spat.

"I love you Erika and I wanna be with you. But I'm marrying Brianna." I looked down at my shaking hands. The tears were mixed in with the rain but I'm pretty sure it wasn't noticeable.

"I'm not trying to break your heart, I'm just doing this for the good of both of us. Please understand that." He said.

"Jack one thing you should've learned about me is that I'm a totally understanding person, but an understanding person that doesn't understand this. But i'll go now, I have to get Payton ready. I'll see you at the wedding." I said and left.

It would pain me, not physically, but emotionally. I hated the fact of Jack being with another girl. I couldn't deal with that. I wanted the family. Brianna didn't. I wanted the love. Brianna wanted the money. I wanted the memories. Brianna wanted the sex. It was all to obvious to not only me, but to Alex as well.

I walked into the front door and sat on the floor to take off my shoes. "Hey girl, I just put....Payton to..bed, what the hell happened?" He said as he saw my tears.

It was kind of a mixture of anger and sadness. Anger because I couldn't get my boot off, and sadness, well, yeah.

"I can't get my boot off." I whined and laid against the wall. He smiled sadly at me and came downstairs to me. "I know that's not the only reason honey." He said as he unzipped the boots and took them off.

"He broke up with me. He wants to marry Brianna. He doesn't want me, said it was in his best interest." I laughed sarcastically and sighed. "Fucking asshole." I said.

"It's ok Erika." He said as he led me upstairs. "I want my dad." I said.

"He's in Europe at the moment." He answered he rubbed my back and pushed my bedroom door open. "You go take a shower and i'll wait for you and when you're done we can have every unhealthy food in the book and watch romantic movies and cry all night if you want." I nodded and went into the bathroom. "That sounds spectacular."

"Did you scrub-a-dub good in the tub?" He asked as I walked downstairs. I nodded and went to sit next to him. There were assortments of every unhealthy food I owned. "I took the liberty of arranging them how you like and setting up a bunch of blankets and movies."

"This is so sweet Alex, thank you." He shrugged and patted the spot next to him.

"Are you still going to the wedding?" He asked. I nodded. "I want him to see the difference of what he's missing." I said blankly.

"That's my girl talking! You go honey!" He said and whistled. I shushed him and pressed my finger to his lips. "Just watch the movie." I said

The ending credits rolled up to The Notebook and I sat there crying. I looked over and saw Alex tearing up just a little. Ok, like a lot a little.

I wasn't crying because of the movie. I was crying because of what I was thinking about. That movie made me realize that I had fallen in love with Jack Barakat....but he didn't want me.