6

Erika

~one week later~

I arrived home from my class and immediately made my way towards the mailbox.

"Bill, Bill, Bill, Junk, Im not 50 stop sending me AARP stuff, AHA!!" I said as I found the hospital paper.

"I'll show you prick." I said and walked in the door.

"Hey! How was class?" Austin said as I walked in and dropped my stuff.

"It was same old same old, nothing really hugely eventful." I said.

"MOMMAAAA!" Payton yelled as she ran up to me. "Hi Pay, what'd you do today?"

I walked into the kitchen with her while she told me all about her day. "And then gampa lost! And I won!" She yelled. "That's terrific honey."

"Erika what's this?" Austin said as he held up the results from the hospital.

"Oh that's simple Jack didn't believe me so we went and got a DNA test done, and I'm gonna prove him wrong. He is the father."

I forgot that Payton was in my arms and she tapped my shoulder. "Is he gonna be daddy?" She asked.

"Yeah baby girl, now I have a visit to make to a certain someone's house. I'll see you in a few." I grabbed Payton and walked out.

This was gonna be great! To see his face when I show him those results.

~<~>~<~>~<~>~<~>~<~>~<~>~<~>

I opened up the envelope and read the test results.

"YESSS! I SO TOLD HIM!" I said in victory.

"So Jack is my daddy?" Payton asked. I nodded and turned around in my seat. I felt victorious right now. Like I had just won the biggest battle ever.

"Alright were gonna get out of the car now." I said as I got out. I unbuckled her and walked to the door.

I tried to wipe the smug look off my face, but this was my victory moment and I wasn't letting go.

I knocked and heard a slight 'coming' before the door opened and Jack stood there with an apron on and a spatula in his hand.

He squinted his eyes at me and smiled. "Come to apologize for being wrong?" He said. He sounded so confident, it was a shame that I would have to rip it apart.

"I came to have you apologize." i said and unfolded the paper.

I decided that it was best that I read it slowly to get my point across.

"Paternity test of Payton Elizabeth Carlile and Jack Bassam Barakat, the pictures above show the three DNA strands of the father and the daughter. In order, the strands are mother, Erika Jennifer Carlile, then daughter Payton Elizabeth Carlile and potential father Jack Bassam Barakat." I started.

"It said potential father how do you know that's me." He argued.

I wasn't done with my torture just yet. "Ah ah aaahhh lemme finish." I said and pointed a finger at him.

"Though traits show that the daughter (Payton) has similarities closer to the mother, example, brown hair, blue eyes, the results show~" I dragged out the last part of the sentence to potentially show him that he was wrong.

"That I'm not the father! Now bye!" He said and began to shut the door.

I stopped it with my hand and walked in. "I'm not done."

He stood there silently and listened.

"Now where was I, oh yes! The results show that, Jack Bassam Barakat is 99.988% the father of Payton Elizabeth Carlile."

He stood there narrowing his eyes at me. He snatched the paper from me and read it over.

"Pretty accurate if you ask me." I said and tapped my finger nails on the door frame.

"JAAAACCKKK!! Why is there an adorable little girl in your house." I heard a male voice say.

"Oh! You have visitors! Great! I'll just let you keep that I have another copy and take my daughter and go." I said.

"Payton, honey c'mon! Momma needs to make dinner!" I went to go find her and found her hugging a mans leg.

"Umm a little help here guys." The guy said and picked her up.

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry! Here let me get her." I said and panicked

"No no it's fine, I'm Alex by the way." He introduced.

"I'm Erika." I said.

"It's nice to meet you Erika."

We just stood there looking into each others eyes before jack coughed and interrupted us. "Oh uhh sorry bro." Jack dragged him off and I stood there looking at him as he took quick glances back at me.