Little Girl Chapter 2

Past

" Doctor Leonard Hibachi is dead? Then...we have no use for the girl-she was his experiment, one that failed. " A HYDRA Commander peers down a long hallway. At the end of the hallway is a metal door, containing a small girl.

" Well, actually, commander, I was thinking. " An officer says cautiously. He pauses before continuing. " We could use her. We're still trying to figure out if The Winter Soldier has empathy, correct? "

" Yes. What are you getting at? " The Commander turns towards his officer as the officer speaks.

" Since the child never learned to care for herself, she needs a guardian who will cares and will be patient with her. Do you understand what I'm getting too? " the officer asks.

" We should have The Winter Soldier care for the pathetic thing. Brilliant! If he grows no connection with her, we will know he is prepared and have him kill the child. If he shows a connection, we shall use it as leverage to make him work harder until he is ready to kill the girl. This will work. " The evil commander smiles and calls over another officer. " You, take the child to the soldier. " He tells the officer who have him the idea. " And you, tell the Winter Soldier he has a new task. A small task. " He clasps his hands together.

The officer assigned to pick up the small girl walks over to her cell door. The officer opens number nine's cell with a clank. She shakes out of nervousness, afraid of what's going to happen. The officer grumbles in disgust, cursing at the girl and the filth of the room. He roughly picks her up, making sure he keeps her at an arms length away so she doesn't dirty him too much. He turns to carry the girl away from the urine scented room. The young girl, only four years of age, shivers in the cold.

Meanwhile, the other officer informs The Winter Soldier of his new assignment.

The Winter Soldier doesn't question the officer, not wanting to know or really caring about who's being placed in his care. 

The door opens and the other officer walks in with a child, throwing The Winter Soldier off guard.

' A child? They're putting a child in my care? Why? ' The Winter Soldier thinks to himself.

The commander walks in. " This is Number Nine. You're to care and look after her until further notice. She is four years old and can do nothing by herself. You must keep her alive. " With that, the commander turns around and leaves.

The officer holding the girl drops her in disgust on the bed near the corner, and wipes his hands against his pants. He mutters rude things about the girl to himself as the girl pulls herself deeper into the corner, pulling her legs to her chest. The officer that held the girl walks out of the room, slamming the door behind him, startling the girl. A few tears form in her dull, grayish eyes. She wipes her eyes gently with a dirty hand.

For minutes, The Winter Soldier and the little girl, Number Nine, stare at each other, trying to figure out who they are.

The Winter Soldier studies the girl with harsh eyes. He rarely saw children on his missions. Especially ones as young as her. He didn't know how to take care of one. He'd never had to before. 

She cocks her head to the side. " Hi. " She whispers. It's one of the few words she knows. 

" Hello. " He grunts back. 

The rest of the night no other words were spoken between the two. They stayed in their separate corners, carefully watching each other. 

This was going to be difficult.