Overwhelming Chapter 17

Dorothea's P.O.V. 

I'm scared. Really scared. I don't know what to do. I don't know where to hide. I don't know these people. 

I miss papa. I miss him so much. He doesn't remember me. Why'd they have to do that to him? Why'd they wipe his brain? 

These people...they're scary. They're always walking around with tools and weapons. The doctor tried to stab me with a needle thing. I didn't let that happen though. 

Why am I here? Why did they bring me here? What are they going to do to me? Are they going to hurt me? Papa wouldn't let them hurt me. 

But he doesn't remember me. He probably doesn't care about me. At least not with his memory wiped. 

I don't want to be here. I want to go back. At least there I knew what was coming. At least there I knew what to expect. Here it's unpredictable. Here it's new. 

I don't like new.

The food here is weird. It's got so many flavors and feels weird. It's not hard or mushy like the foods we get at home. It's strange. This place is so colorful. There are so many windows everywhere and it's really bright. The man I met before, the doctor man, he dimmed the lights for me, but it's still pretty bright compared to home. 

I miss home, I guess. I miss the familiarity. I wish papa remembered me. I feel alone. I don't like feeling alone. At least I'm in the dark. I hate the dark. 

*****

Third P.O.V.

" I don't know, Buck. The name's familiar but I've never met that kid before. " Steve pants while wiping some sweat off of his forehead with a towel. He takes a sip of water. " Maybe she's just got you confused for someone else. " 

Bucky shrugs. " Yeah. " 

The men step into the elevator, Bucky tensing at the still unfamiliar machine.

Steve and Bucky had gotten a late start to their workout. Both had been running around the building for different reasons. Bucky trying to figure out who the girl was and how to help, and Steve was trying to learn what the next step with Hydra was. 

" I've got to shower and find Tony. Night, Bucky. " Steve says his farewells while breaking off from him in the other direction as they get off of the elevator. 

Bucky waves and looks down at the ground, thinking about the little girl while walking towards his room. Who is she? How can he help her? He feels terrible knowing what she went through. Probably similar things to what he went through. That's no place for a child to be. For anyone to be. How could those people be so heartless? Why would they do that to a child. It sickens him to think of how monstrous a person must be to hurt a child. 

Bucky shuts his door closes, glancing at the window on the other side of the room. The moon, barely up, reminds him of the many nights he'd spent up, afraid to fall asleep. Nightmares were always there when he slept, always waiting to drag him back to painful moments. 

Bucky pulls off his sweaty clothing before stepping into the cold shower.

Who was the girl's father? How could someone sell their child away? Parents are supposed to protect their children not subject them to a horrible life involving torture and mistreatment. 

Bucky quickly finishes his shower, trying to get his mind to focus on something else. 

He turns on the TV, flipping through different channels. He turns off the TV after not finding anything he wanted to watch.