When They Were Young

Past. Before WW2.

" And that my friend, " Bucky Barnes slings his arm around his best friend, Steve Rodgers. " is how it's done. " Bucky smirks and nods in a flirtatious manner to some girls across the street.

Steve laughs and shakes his head. " Oh Bucky. You're insane. "

Bucky takes on a faux hurt look. " I am not insane for wantin' ta find the perfect girl before I grow too old. " Bucky winks at a girl. The girl smiles and catches up to her friends.

" Bucky, we're thirteen years old. There's plenty of time for us to meet girls and date before getting married. We won't be old men for a looonnng time. We still have time, Buck. We have time to find the right girls. " Steve looks farther down the street. " Slow down. "

" I'm just practicing, Stevie. But, it's not a bad idea to start looking now. We won't be thirteen forever. Someday, these girls will come running to us. "

" Buck, they'll be married by the time we're of age to marry. They'll have kids of their own. " Steve points out.

" Hey! Hey. Steve, don't crush my dreams, 'kay? If not these girls, other girls. There'll be girls running to us. Everyone'll love us. I know it. We're gonna be big and famous someday, Stevie. I know it. " Bucky smiles up at the sky.

" Maybe. " Steve shrugs. " So, why ya so worried about meeting the perfect girl right now? I mean, we're barely teenagers. "

" I'm preparing myself for the future. I wanna make sure I know what I want ta do and what I wanna get, so I can make goals. " Bucky smiles proudly.

" Look at you, Bucky. You're sounding all...grown up. " Steve chuckles.

" Don't laugh at me, Steven. You make goals all the time. Like, remember that goal to ask Missy Ryans to the dance on Friday? " Bucky points out.

" Okay, your goals are life changing things. Mine are...minor. " Steve shrugs.

" Dorothea...Lavern? " Bucky says out of the blue as he stops in front of a shop window.

" What? " Steve asks.

" Dorothea-Lavern. What do ya think of that name? " Bucky asks while looking at a pretty cashier near the window of a taylors store. Her name tag saying, Dorothea, flashes at Steve. The woman smiles at the young teenagers from the window and turns to help a customer.

" Yeah...that name's nice. Where'd ya get Lavern? I mean, her name's Dorothea, but there's no Lavern on there. " Steve nods to the woman.

" Lavern's the name of our old Kindergarten teacher. Miss Lavern Cavensaw. " Bucky informs.

" Yeah...I remember her, but what does her name have anything to do with that girl? " Steve asks, kinda confused.

" The girl-the girl has nothing to do with this. I mean, yeah, she's cute, but I'm just talking about the name. Do you like it? Dorothea-Lavern? " Bucky asks once again.

" Yeah. It's nice. Pretty. " Steve chuckles. " But...what does the name have to do with anything? "

" That's what I'm gonna name my daughter. " Bucky states with a smile. " Dorothea-Lavern. "

" Buck, " Steve laughs with a head shake. " in case ya forgot, bud. You don't have a daughter. If you did, your ma would hang you. You're only thirteen. "

" I'm not saying now...I'm saying when I'm older, married, and have a daughter. I'm going to name her Dorothea-Lavern. " Bucky and Steve continue walking while Bucky talks.

" Oh Buck. You're killing me. "