28 All my fault

28 ALL MY FAULT

Luckily for us the car that had hit Sebastian had stopped and taken him to the hospital because he was unconscious. He didn't seem to have any injuries but I was so scared. He was immediately taken to the emergency ward when we got to the hospital. The young man who had hit him was also very scared because he didn't want the death of the boy in his hands.

I was so surprised when I didn't notice any blood on my brother because the way he was knocked into midair was excruciating to watch and it must've felt that way too.

The hospital let us call Mrs. Jacobs since they needed his guardian to be there. All through while we waited in the reception as the doctors attended to Sebastian and we waited for Mrs Jacobs to arrive, the young man who was driving the car was there with us- Jay and I.

I prayed that nothing serious would happen to Sebastian. I didn't know how I would ever look myself in the mirror again if something happened to him. I would never forgive myself.

When Mrs. Jacobs came to the hospital, she had a lot to say to the man who had nearly killed Sebastian but moreover, she was much more concerned with Sebastian's well-being.

"The boy is fine," said the doctor after he'd approached us, "But, we had some issues with his spinal cord and we would need to go into surgery immediately or else he wouldn't be able to walk again." My heart literally broke to pieces on hearing that. I was scared and angry and sorry and sad.

I froze and Mrs. Jacobs sighed, "And after the surgery?"

"There's no guarantee that he'll be able to walk after the surgery because his spinal cord is really not...in a good shape but we are going to try out best." The doctor shrugged, giving us a sympathetic look.

"Okay, then. Proceed with the surgery and please doctor, do everything in your power to help this boy." Mrs. Jacobs pleaded. The doctor simply nodded before walking away.

"I'll take care of all the necessary bills, ma'am." the young man pitched in.

"Well, duh! Who the hell was going to pay the bills in the first place?" Jay fired.

"Jay, have some manners." his mum scolded him. "Right now, the bills are the least of our problems. I just want Seb to come out of there perfectly fine."

None of us could stay put for the next three hours while the surgery was ongoing. I couldn't comprehend the way I felt about the situation. I could only pray that everything would turn out successful. I didn't know what to do with myself for that three hours, I kept pacing and trying not to cry but it was difficult because this was all my fault.

"Your brother will need fresh clothes when they're done." Mrs. Jacobs whispered to me on the bench where we were all seated, waiting impatiently for the surgery to come to an end.

"And we'll need food too." Jay murmured. It was past 6pm and in as much we wouldn't admit it, we were famished.

"Then you both should better go home and get these things and while you're at it, take a shower." said Mrs. Jacobs making me wonder if Jay and I reeked of sweat. We were still in our school uniforms and we hadn't gone home to prepare for the exams we had the following day.

On getting home, there was another white envelope at the gate entrance similar to the one Jay had given to me few weeks back. I stepped in first and picked up the envelope.

"You still haven't told me what it written in those letters." I heard Jay say behind me while we approached the door.

"I've already told you."