32 Braver and Smarter

32 BRAVER AND SMARTER (JAY'S POV)

Christmas was around the corner but one could hardly tell any festivities was coming up

Christmas was around the corner but one could hardly tell any festivities was coming up. I used to like this time of the year but a lot had ruined the yuletide for me this year.

Rachael had bluntly told me she only loved me like a brother and that alone was enough to keep me up at night. We avoided each other like the plague and I knew that was for the best.

"I'm not going." I said to my mom for the third time.

"Why?" she asked again.

"Because I don't feel like going." I responded. "It's a stupid Christmas party for kids."

"But Rachael and Sebastian are going." she stated.

"Like I said; it's a stupid Christmas party for kids." I walked out of the kitchen and into the dinning room with my breakfast.

"Is there anything I should know about you and Rachael?" my mom walked in just as I was about to start eating.

"Anything like what?"

"You both haven't really spoken to each other. It's like you're avoiding each other. Did you guys fight?" I mentally rolled my eyes and heaved a sigh of frustration.

"Something like that." I mumbled before stuffing pancakes into my mouth.

"Arghh!" mom screamed while holding her head like it was going to fall apart.

"Another migraine?" I'd rushed to her side immediately. "Where did you keep the painkillers?"

"In the kitchen..." she'd managed to say in between yelps.

I'd rushed to the kitchen and got the pills from the kitchen cabinet. I had no idea why her migraines were getting worse by the day. She would wake up in the middle of the night and keep screaming and crying because of her head. She claimed to have gone to the hospital and they only prescribed painkillers which did little or nothing about the pains.

I watched as she downed the pills with a glass of water and her eyes had turned red. Huge eye bags and dark circles had formed under her eyes as a result of the sleepless nights.

For some time, I don't think anyone had been able to sleep.

"Is it the pains again?" I heard Rachael ask behind us after she walked in wearing her pajamas.

Since I was still angry with her, I said nothing which led my mom to nodding her throbbing head slightly in response to Rachael's question when she noticed I wasn't going to say anything.

"Sorry." Rachael mumbled before taking a seat on the other side of the table next to my mom.

"I'm going upstairs." mom said before walking away slowly same time Sebastian wheeled his way into the room with his usual frown.