Q & A with Donald

These are a bunch of questions that I got while and after writing the book. And also a few I think you guys are curious to know.

What gave you the inspiration to write this book?

If you've seen the movie 13 REASONS WHY then you would know how emotional and moving it was. The movie inspired me a lot and also made me realize that the struggles of being a teenager are real and needs to be talked about.

Why is Rachael so stupid? Why did she let Rebecca belittle her?

Someone asked this in the chapter where Rebecca had asked Rachael to bow down to her and she humiliated Rachael.

The truth is that, Rachael had her reasons for doing what she did then and she was also a different person back then. So, I can't really say what she did was smart but I wouldn't say it was stupid either.

Why did Aunt Thelma hate Rachael so much?

Aunt Thelma actually explained why she despised Rachael when she locked her in the psychiatric hospital. Turns out she had issues with Rachael's late mother and not her. She was just taking everything out on Rachael.

Why did Uncle Harry shoot aunt Thelma and shoot himself afterwards?

I never actually said why but the reason behind this was that uncle Harry came back from the hospital and realized that aunt Thelma had locked Rachael up in God knows where and he got furious and aunt Thelma wasn't helping matters so before you know it, things got out of hand and he did what he did. But definitely, some mental issues from uncles Harry's side also contributed to his actions.

What exactly is the purpose of Sebastian's character in the book?

One thing the book was lacking was the relationship between siblings and I admit that yes, I didn't plan for Sebastian's character to just show up but I felt like it was needful. And besides, I don't regret it because I love him so much and we'll be seeing more of him in his own story titled THE PERFECTIONISTS.

What exactly is Rachael's father's history?

I know that in this book, sometimes he would appear as a good guy and other times, he would sound like he's the devil's incarnate especially in the beginning. But in THE PERFECTIONISTS we'll find out the real reason why he was disowned by Rachael's grandfather and why he never bothered going back.

Was Jay's father's death always part of the plot?

😂 No it wasn't. If you remember, Mr. Jacobs was killed during one of the xenophobic attacks in South Africa which was actually one of the things we were experiencing then so I decided to highlight that issue in the book and it was perfect timing because Jay and his mom had just returned from South Africa.

Jay's character is too perfect. Does he have no flaw?

I got this comment like millions of times. To me, I don't believe anybody is perfect and I know Jay definitely had his flaws but I think the reason why Jay appeared flawless and perfect was because you guys were comparing him with Tunde who exhibited all kinds of madness from the day he showed up.

Tunde was a nice character. Why didn't he get a happy ending?

This is actually funny because I don't know who told you Tunde didn't get a happy ending. He went to rehab and he was through with it and decided to finish highschool and after that he would study his dream course. For me, that's a happy ending.

Why did Tunde and Rachael not end up together? They were the perfect match.

It's not about who and who were the perfect match, it's about what happens in reality.

Jay and Rachael are perfect together. I'm glad they ended up together.

This is not a question but I just wanted to make it clear.

Rachael and Jay never said they were dating so I wouldn't assume anything if I were me. The question you should be asking is whether there was something more to the "I love you" Tunde and Rachael shared.

Why was Aisha such an underrated character?

She's not really underrated. Aisha actually taught us a lot of things if you realise it. It's just her storyline that affect her appearance in the book.

Did Tunde and his mom ever reconcile?

As you read in the last chapter, Tunde and mother haven't really worked things out and their relationship is still weird. But you should have in mind that not all relationships are meant to be.

What happened to Segun and Yvonne?

If you paid attention very well you'd realise that Segun was in prison and Yvonne was feeling remorseful for everything at the end.

What's next now you're done writing Before Sixteen?

I'm going to be continuing my other books here on wattpad — Being the Pastor's Son (General fiction) and Woman Up (ChickLit). Please do follow them up while we await the sequel.

SOME QUESTIONS FOR THE READERS! (Don't leave without answering)

Who was your favorite character?

Which character did you hate most?

What was your favorite moment?

What was the most emotional moment for you? (the part you did or almost cried)

Mention one time you hated Rachael.

What do you think of Sebastian's character?

Jay or Tunde?

If you were to live with aunt Thelma or uncle Harry who would you choose?

The funniest moment in Before Sixteen.

The best thing Jay said in the book.

The funniest character.

The most savage character. (the character with the most clap backs)

One annoying thing about the story or any character.

NEXT UP
Fun facts about Before Sixteen

Other recommended books.