Raed's Letter

Dear future human,

This is Major Asynja of Roulette Organization. I am also known as a Gamer called Raed of Norse but I doubt you can search it anymore. My real name is Raena Benitez. You can call me whatever you want, you don't know who I am anyway, or would ever really meet me.

I am sitting on top of an old tree which is marked to be cut down, staring at the sea with a shore so colorful with plastics covering it. It's not a sight to behold, truth be told, it's disgusting.

I am writing this letter on the 25th of December, year 3000. I don't know when will you find this letter, or what year, I don't know if you'll ever find it at all. I wish this was a christmas card or a love letter for the people I love, but they're gone. Everyone is.

A company called Bolo Corporation developed a virtual reality game, Gladio Online, a cover for its true purpose. Everyone thought it was just a revolutionary game as it is the most advanced technology, but it's only a disguise. Its real name is Project Malthus which has a goal to wipe the human race. Yale Webber thought of it, his brother Glade Webber developed it and I helped them accomplish their goal just because I was weak and blinded with hate and anger.

I, along with approximately 6 Billion people, was stuck inside Gladio Online and trying to live. Yale Webber made it clear when he locked us all inside the game that once we die inside the game, we die in real life too. 6 Billion people hated and even tried to kill me for I was responsible why they are stuck inside.

There are many things that I want to tell you what happened inside there but I will only tell you the important ones.

I helped the Webbers to accomplish their goal because I wanted them to help me take down Roulette Organization, one of the world government's underground agency. Gladio Online has 9 servers, but when it became Project Malthus it only had one, Server: Raed. Inside my brain is the chip of Server: Raed and when I go to other servers of Gladio Online, invites to venture Server: Raed will be sent to all the players in the server I went to. Basically, I was a virus. When I successfully sent invites to Server: Bolo, the first server I infiltrated Yale Webber and I had a deal. He was going to kill his own brother and all the players inside Gladio Online. To prevent that from happening, I had to agree to play his game, "the game within the game" as he called it.

It was my only motivation to play Project Malthus, I had to shoulder the lives of 6 billion people without them knowing. They all tried to kill me, even I wanted to kill me, but we could only wound me because I was considered as an immortal object inside the game.

What a curse it was.

I could go on and on about the adventures I had inside Project Malthus but this is how it end up. We all died. If you are reading this letter it means that I fell from the tree and fell on my neck or something.

But I'm not going to lie to you like that. It is true that I am possibly dead when you read this letter and that's because there are soldiers waiting for me as it is the day of my execution. Yes, I am going to be killed because of the crimes I've committed. I've killed people, hurt them, and a lot of things. As you can see I am a bad person, will you still read this letter after finding that out?

...

I see you're still reading, what a brave soul you have.

I am not the nicest or the worst person, I can assure you that. I'm just a person but I was responsible for the world's destruction. See that? Anyone could be destructive even who that person is or someone you never thought could ever do it. We all have this bomb inside us that would kill us and everyone around us and you're the only one who can disarm it.

All I'm saying is; make right decisions, all right? The world is already fucked up and you can't go anywhere but here. Unless you're super rich and could go to another habitable planet. I know super smart and rich people who actually went to another planet but that's not an option for the most of us.

Truth be told I don't know what I'm writing about, maybe I just want to let my thoughts out before I leave this world. Will you do me a favor and inhale and exhale three times, look out and stare at the skies?

Did you do it?

Thank you.

When you inhaled and exhaled, was the air fresh? Or was it heavy? What about the skies? Were they clear? Or were they so dark you couldn't even see the moon shine at night?

Another favor. Look at your reflection, doesn't matter where.

Did you do it?

You're beautiful, right?

I'm not making you do these things to make you look dumb, there's actually something behind it. The air you breathe, the skies you looked at, the reflection you saw, you're responsible for all of it. I know what's on your mind, "how can I be responsible for the skies or even the air if they're not even mine?'. That is the mindset of a lot of people, how about you? Would you have the same way of thinking? I'm not forcing you to do anything, it's all up to you if you're going to protect those skies or yourself, make a change, or do nothing.

I lived my life, maybe not the way I wanted but I did my part. I was shot by the bullet of a roulette gun and the pain was so excruciating that I felt it all my life. I was hanging by a lot of ropes that it suffocated me, until now I can still feel the tightness around my neck and wrists, that's what I really regret the most. I wanted everyone who knew me to let me go in hopes of breathing again but it killed me because I was the one who hasn't let go and even I had time, I didn't find a solution for me to be free.

I guess this is the end for me.

Let go and be free,

Raed