Thirty-Two

They decided not to return to the house. Despite her friendly attitude towards the death of her grandfather, Calliope did not think she would be able to live where he had died. Fred and George were behind her and George immediately set about purchasing a house for the three of them to live in as Sirius had said he would live with Remus and Tonks.

By the end of September, Fred, Calliope and George were all moved into their new house (which had the Flidalius Charm quickly placed upon it with Calliope as Secret Keeper) and somewhat enjoying the decorating process. George almost cried with laughter when Fred 'dropped' a full bucket of white paint over Calliope's head, causing her to resemble a ghost. Calliope was less impressed but got her own back by charming all of the chairs in the house to fart loudly every time that Fred tried to sit down on them.

Calliope had decided to not go to work at the ministry anymore, which was a great relief for Fred. However, she had taken to visiting the graves of Elphias, Isaac, Natalie and Arthur regularly and leaving flowers every time. 

One such trip in late October led Calliope to come across someone else sitting in front of Arthur's grave. Calliope approached the person warily and circled around the grave until she could see the person's face. 

"Calliope?" Ron jumped to his feet on seeing her face. 

"Ron?" Calliope was shocked to see the youngest Weasley boy, who was one of the last people she would have expected to see there. "What are you doing here? Where are Harry and Hermione?"

"Not here," Ron replied, "it's just me."

"What are you doing here?" Calliope asked again.

"I couldn't find anywhere," said Ron, "I tried to go home, I tried to go to Bill and Fleur's but I couldn't find them."

"Everywhere is under the Flidalius Charm," Calliope told him, "that's why you couldn't find anywhere. Why aren't you with Harry and Hermione."

"Now, don't have a go at me, but I left them," said Ron, seemingly ready for Calliope to jump down his throat. "I regretted it straight away, but that locket messes with your head-"

"You don't need to explain yourself to me, Ron," Calliope said, "I've done worse. Now grab your bag, you're coming back with me."

Ron grabbed his backpack as Calliope placed the rose in her hand down on the gravestone. 

"Why are you here?" Ron asked as he began to follow Calliope out of the graveyard. 

"I'm the only one who can go out," said Calliope, "the Death Eaters can't hurt me if it's just me, but if they get the others then You Know Who can get me to do what he likes."

"Why aren't you saying Vol-" Calliope clapped a hand over Ron's mouth silencing him.

"Don't say the name. It's been jinxed, if you say it all protective charms cast upon a place are broken and the Death Eaters or the Snatchers can find you."

"How do you know all of this?" Ron asked.

"Potterwatch," Calliope replied, "Lee Jordan started it, it's a radio station which broadcasts the actual news. He's been operating out of our backroom for the last few weeks. Fred and George are frequent guests on the show." 

"Potterwatch," Ron repeated, "Harry would love that."

Calliope offered Ron her hand.

"I can apparate myself you know," said Ron.

"I'm Secret Keeper of our house," said Calliope, "so I need to take you there."

Ron took Calliope's arm and Calliope pulled him into the darkness of apparition.  

"This is your house?" Ron asked when they emerged in front of the house. "When did you get it?"

"When my Grandfather died," Calliope replied, "now come inside, you'll stay with us."

Calliope pushed open the garden gate and beckoned for Ron to follow. Calliope knocked on the front door, which Fred opened slightly and stuck his hand out for Calliope to take. She held it and they both felt the electricity which confirmed her identity better than any questioning could have. Fred pulled the door the rest of the way open and Calliope entered the house.

"Look who I found," said Calliope. 

"Ronnie!" Fred said, "what are you doing here?"

"He's staying with us," Calliope told him. "He can share with Lee."

"I'm sure Lee will be delighted to have a bunkmate," said Fred, "Upstairs, second on the left Ronnie."

Ron grinned slightly and headed off up the stairs.

"Why isn't he with Harry and Hermione?" Fred asked Calliope once Ron was gone.

"He regrets it," said Calliope, "please don't give him a hard time. I know what it's like to make mistakes that you can't take back."