Chapter 02

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

A Small Inconvenience

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Her hair was the brown of aged mahogany, rich and deep, yet with the subtle hues, only time brought. With each stride the strands tumbled, reflecting the strengthening daylight in waves.

Her brown eyes shone brightly, reflecting the warmth of the sun. They were such a unique color, a mix of light and dark. Big and beautiful, so much emotion held inside. They smiled constantly, those doe eyes.

It was perhaps the reason that Jo suddenly wanted to take back the evil plans she had in mind when the door was first opened. Knowing it was nothing more than a friendly joke, she lightly smiled back, a look of confusion enveloping her eyes.

"Are you looking for someone?" Jo asked.

"Yes, actually," Annie replied, however, her tone spoke unsurely. "I was told this is the March household."

Jo chuckled, earning a look of hesitation from the other girl. "You're mistaken. The March home is the one beside this."

"Are you certain?"

"Yes, why wouldn't I be?"

Oh," the girl replied, slightly embarrassed. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

Jo shrugged and waved the girl a farewell, closing the door right behind her. It wasn't until she took a seat on the couch, did she feel a tinge of regret. It was a harmless joke, and the girl was bound to figure out the truth, eventually.

In all honesty, she too wasn't sure who lived inside the house beside theirs. For all she knew, it was some cold-blooded murderer, waiting for a visually innocent girl to pass by them, so they could lure her into the trap.

She shook her head, cursing at the foolish thoughts. There would be nothing wrong, the girl would find her way back sooner or later.

***

Annie stepped on the pavement, taking in the view in front of her. It was a large home, much larger than anything she had ever seen before. The front door, made of dark wood planks with black hinges spreading halfway across, had that rustic appeal the rich city folk craved. Inside it would be renovated, no expense spared - the charm of the country with every modern convenience of a penthouse suite.

She knocked on the door, slowly but firmly, excited to see the family she's heard so much about. She caught herself wondering if they were nice, or perhaps if they would even accept her. Oh, how she hoped it worked out in her favor.

Preparing to knock once again, a loud but deep voice called out from behind her. Turning around, it was another boy - perhaps a few years older than her. He had tousled dark brown hair, which was thick and lustrous. His hazel eyes were actually graceful but furrowed in a frown.

"Are you looking for someone?" He called with a deep voice.

"The March family," she replied, and he came a little closer.

He laughed, catching her off-guard. It was rather rude in her opinion, she just came to meet the family she'd be staying with, but to be teased like that made her upset.

"Are you a part of this home?" She asked, pointing to the house behind her.

"Yes." There was an indefinable flicker in his eyes. "I'm a part of the Laurence's."

Annie wore a puzzled expression, trying to figure out the news. Had she been messed with? It all made sense now. If the citizen from earlier had given her the correct address, why did she need to believe it was a lie?

Laurie took a moment to see the girl. Alluringly, she blinked her eyes from time to time, allowing her eyelashes to flutter like the wings of a butterfly. Pastel white skin which made her beautiful pink lips stand out. Her cheeks were rouged, and she was dressed in a beige cotton dress that was laced from the edges.

"You must be mistaken. This is the March house right?" She started again.

He shook his head with a small grin. "The place you're looking for is right beside us, actually."

"I was told to come here by a nice girl," she muttered to herself. However, he had heard her.

This is interesting, he thought. She was fiddling with her fingers, the sense of innocence was so clear to see. It had him wondering why of all reasons someone would want to joke with her, regardless of its intensity. The girl wasn't from around here, he could tell that much. Glancing at the tall house to his right, he sighed, the cold winds hissing in return.

"Well, I hate to be the one to break it to you," he said, a light chuckle escaping his mouth. "I believe they have tricked you."