Chapter 16

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Balcony Galore

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Like most good things, the dinner had very soon ended as well. With many of the guests - both the invited and uninvited - having had left for home. It was nearing midnight, if it hadn't already - Annie was unsure at the moment. In all of the extreme that was the gathering, she had also forgotten to glance at any one of the many clocks that surrounded the March home.

Still, though, she could be sure of one thing. Almost everyone, if not all of the people who came by that night had left the house with content. Even if things started to get a bit out of hand nearing the end, they still left with bright smiles - different from the calm ones that they had when they first entered the place.

Annie stood on the top of the home's balcony, leaning her chin against her hands that were placed comfortably on the silver railing. It was the night sky that had first captivated her interest - in the few short months she had been staying in the home, she quickly learned and had gotten used to the starless skies that this city seemed to harbor. It was a different case this time, however, there were stars - just a couple illuminating the otherwise empty roads. It had her feeling content, like there was―

"Starry sky tonight," a voice soothed from behind her. It didn't take long for Annie to recognize it as Laurie's - even though she didn't completely turn to face him.

"You really like to frighten me, don't you?" She asked rhetorically, putting a gentle hand on her rapidly beating heart. Before her mind processed the voice to be Laurie's, it didn't stop her from getting caught off guard.

"I beg to differ," he explained, coming closer to lean against the railing as well. He gave her a tight-knitted smile, as if he was trying his best to hide in a snicker. "I like to believe that you're instead not so used to surprises."

Annie wasn't sure if she was supposed to answer him - or even if she should have. She chose to not respond. And after a few short seconds, she started, "everyone's already gone home. Why are you still here?"

She didn't let herself to process in time that her words potentially came out more bitter than desired, but she was thankful when Laurie let out a throaty laugh. "I thought it'd be okay to stay a little longer," he said, "I'll be out of your hair soon, don't worry."

Annie gave him a worried, yet annoyed look. "I never said I didn't like your company."

"Wow," Laurie mused, crossing his arms in amusement. He gave her a knowing look, as if beckoning her to continue with what he assumed were compliments. "Did Miss. Annie McLaren really just say that she enjoys my company?"

Annie scoffed, turning to face the night sky - that had oddly enough turned a tad darker than before. She didn't let herself read too into it, she just felt it was her mind playing games with her. It was late anyway. "Hardly," she said smirking, "There's a difference between your words and mine."

Laurie muttered something incoherent under his breath, before flashing a sheepish smile at Annie, who had reluctantly caught what he had said.

Annie had never been shy of a little rain. As a girl she had embraced the wet days, her nanny would stare mournfully from the window, but she would have on her rubber boots and rain slicker and out she'd go; splashing, jumping, drinking the drops in her open mouth. So, when the wind picked up on the balcony top, she glanced up at the now starless atmosphere that dominated the sky above and felt a sudden rush of excitement.