Chapter 22

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Decisions Made

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Annie stepped on the front steps of Maxwell's estate home. She reached her hand over to knock, but was interrupted by Maxwell swiftly opening the door. She gasped silently, taking a step back as she was rather surprised by the sudden movement. He smiled at her, his coat loosely hanging over his shoulders.

"Anne! To what do I owe this pleasure?" he asked, stepping outside as well. She cleared her throat.

"Well, I was just strolling around the neighborhood. Thought I'd see a familiar face." She sighed, snowflakes landing on her eyelashes.

That was very much not her original plan. More like her aunt wanted her to find an excuse to spend more time with Maxwell - hopefully so she could accept the proposal much quicker. It had been many months since Annie had first arrived, and she had yet to say a word regarding the marriage.

"I was actually just about to head into town for a while. Would you like to join me?" he asked, tilting his head in question.

"Oh, I wouldn't want to intrude--"

"Nonsense. Your company would be lovely."

"If you insist. . ." She glanced at him with agreement. He smiled down at her, while the younger girl jumped down the steps, her boots hitting the snow.

He motioned towards a wooden carriage just a few feet from them, and they began their approach to it.

"It's been a while since we've spent time together," she said, pulling at the hem of her beige dress. He nodded his head, his gaze meeting hers for a brief moment. She gulped nervously, turning her head to stare at the fields.

"It has," he agreed, the snow crunching from underneath their feet. She glanced at him every now-and-then, but he didn't seem to notice. But one time he did, causing her to quickly divert her eyes to the frozen concrete.

He reached out to grab her cheek, playing with a strand of hair on her face. They stayed like that for a bit, staring at each other.

Maxwell's eyes flickered for a moment, hesitation creeping into his features before he leaned in to wipe at the corners of Annie's mouth. Her eyes rose quick to his, widening in shock before he pulled back and explained: "You had something there - chocolate maybe."

He rose to his full height, raising his thumb to his mouth and licking the chocolate off on his way to the carriage.

She attempted to say something, but it only came out in shocked stutters. A light shade of pink washed over her cheeks as she stood alone by the house. She stared at his back, turning in her heels and strutting in the opposite direction.

***

"Anne."

Annie glanced at her aunt March, who was just descending the stairs of her home. She gave her niece a calm look, yet there was a tinge of something cruel about the way she spoke.

"Yes, auntie?" Annie responded and she took the small way to follow her aunt to the living room of the house. They both sat down on the couch side-by-side. "Was there something you wanted to talk about?"