Chapter 10

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Comfort Food

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

"So, tell me, Annie," Mr. Laurence started a conversation at the dinner table later that day. "Where are you from?"

Annie smiled at the man's words as she attempted to slice up the chicken leg on her plate. It had only been about an hour since she was invited to have dinner with the Laurence's, but she was beginning to feel comfortable around his presence.

In more ways than one, he resembled a lot like her own father. A kind man, who might look intimidating from afar, but was really just concealing their calm-nurtured personality.

"I've moved from France, sir," she responded, taking a bite from her food before continuing, "My father is currently away fighting in the Civil war."

"Oh, that's wonderful," Mr. Laurence exclaimed. "What's his position?"

"A naval surgeon."

Laurie was also seated at the dining table with an amused look on his face. He seemed to be learning a lot more from Annie through this little dinner at his place. He considered inviting her over more often, for whatever he was far too shy to ask her himself, his grandfather did without any hesitation.

"Are you any good at mathematics, dear?" Mr. Laurence asked curiously, earning a look of disapproval from his grandson. Laurie just felt like crawling away from the conversation, he knew what his grandfather had in mind when he asked the question.

She stopped to think about it for a minute. "I've always been quite fond of the subject, actually," she then said. But that didn't necessarily mean she was any good at it.

"Well, that's perfect. You see, Laurie here has trouble with understanding the subject. I would love it if you could tutor him some of these days..."

Annie glanced in the boy's direction and noticed how flustered and slightly intimidated he looked. She smiled, "I could try, but I wouldn't want to impose—"

"Nonsense!" The man exaggerated. "He would love the helping hand."

"Grandfather—"

"So, how long have you been living in this home, sir?" Annie thankfully switched the conversation because she knew how embarrassed Laurie looked. Mr. Laurence answered her questions, completely un-stunned by the abrupt change of subject.

Later during dinner, Mr. Laurence invited Annie over to stay the night in their empty guest bedroom, to which she politely declined because she had promised the other girls that they would hold a game night tonight.

She did, however, offer to wash and dry the dishes, to which Mr. Laurence was extremely happy to hear about. It wasn't that she voluntarily did so, it was more like she felt bad for declining him earlier and practically barging into his home at the library. It was the least she could do for such a kind old man.

A quiet silence filled the air inside the kitchen as Annie slowly washed the dishes one by one. It was as if she was in her own little bubble for a few moments, before she heard a deep voice from behind her:

"Well, hello there again," Laurie teased with a grin, causing her to slightly roll her eyes at him.

"Hi."

He leaned in from over her shoulder, his captivating scent reaching Annie, and she couldn't help but just want to lean in.

Instead, she decided to make the most of his time in the kitchen, and shoved a soaking wet plate in his direction and threw a towel at him as well. He thankfully caught both with record reflexes, but was caught very unprepared.

"Err...men don't typically work in the kitchen around here."

She raised an eyebrow, unconvinced at whatever he was trying to prove. "You've made it this far, haven't you?"

"Yes, but only because I came to grab a glass of water." Laurie then put down the plate and towel, grabbed a cup from the cabinet and poured himself some water from the jug on the counter.

He then took a long and uneasy sip from the glass, watching from behind the glass as Annie continued to do the dishes, unfazed. "You did put yourself up to the task, you know."

"I'm aware," she responded in an oddly composed voice. "I don't need the extra help, anyway."

"Then you wouldn't have just shoved a plate then," he said, trying to make a point.

She shrugged. "I thought you'd be kind enough to help."

"Well, you thought wrong."

Laurie frowned, not enjoying the way she just quieted down before him. He was beginning to feel some regret, but quickly shook his head at the thought. Knowing very well he couldn't stand anyone being upset with him, he rolled up his sleeves and pushed Annie aside, continuing where she had left off.

"What are you—"

"Shh, I'm working and that's final."

"You could've just dried the dishes, I was supposed to be washing," she argued.

He rolled his eyes playfully. "Now what fun would that be? You getting your hands dirty while I just watch you do so?" He continued: "Plus, I should probably do some chores around the house every now and then."

Annie started to dry the dishes with no complaints, but she first pinched Laurie's cheek, which caused him to yelp a bit. "You're really cute sometimes, Theo."

He couldn't help the blush that rose on his cheeks. He mumbled something she hadn't heard, but he was secretly thankful she didn't. It was too soon; way too soon.

"Were you serious about, you know," he began after a few minutes of washing and drying. The tap was still on but she heard him just fine. "Helping me with my math studies?"

Annie laughed a little. "I might," she glanced from the plate she was currently drying to him. "Only if you want me to, that is."

Laurie took a breath of relief. "Uh, thanks," he said, "It's not that I wouldn't want your help, it's more like I kind of want to do things on my own..."

"It's okay, I understand."

He couldn't help the smile that was forming on his mouth. As the two supposed friends spent some time in the kitchens, they grew even closer than before. Regardless if they even spoke at all.

It was the kind of silence that came from comfort, the kind that was always a bit hard to find.