six

JACE 

She was still staring at me, her body tense and emotions running all over her face. She was confused, as was I. Why would the Moon Goddess mate me with a human, a hunter? How did I even find my mate? It's too early. It's too rare for me to even find a mate before my 18th birthday. Was this a sign? Is this a sign that she and her family will be the end of us all?

I sound like Jamie – I'm overthinking way too much.

"That's impossible." She said, her hands beginning to shake.

"It's not. It happens. My grandpa was mated to a human as well."

She shook her head, pacing and whispering under her breath. "I don't understand. I'm dating my dad's best friends son. We are to be married once I'm done my training. I'm only sixteen."

She dropped her bow completely and looked at me. I haven't moved, scared that if I do, I will scare her and she'll shoot me. "You're only sixteen and you're to be married?"

"I finish my training in four months and then I marry my dad's friends son. He's been my boyfriend for a couple of years now. I don't want to marry him. I'm only sixteen. I don't even want to be a hunter. I have to listen to my father or he punishes me."

Like a reflex, she pulled her jacket sleeves down. "Punish you?" I questioned.

Her head snapped up and she picked up her bow again. "I've said too much. You know too much. I have to kill you, Jace."

I could feel my wolf begging for power, to let him take control but I couldn't. She's our mate. I can't kill her, even if she is a hunter. I only get one mate in my lifetime and if she dies, a part of me will be missing for the rest of my life. "You don't have to kill me. You kill me and you'll feel really shitty. For the rest of you life, you'll be wondering why you always feel empty, like something's missing from your life. You are never going to find love and you'll die miserable."

She laughed darkly. "Wow, way to guilt me, huh?"

"No, it's the same for us wolves. Our mate dies and half the time, we die shortly after because of the heartache. We aren't mated so my wolf wouldn't hurt as much but for the rest of my life, he'll be wondering where you went and I'll be wondering why a part of me feels like I'm missing."

Something softened in her eyes. She was about to say something until her phone rang. "It's my dad. I have to go or he'll come looking for me. I won't kill you. I probably wouldn't even be able to. I don't want to kill anyone and I have a feeling you would get to me first before I could even pull the string."

She began to pick up her bag that she dropped on the ground. "Wait, will I ever see you again?"

She panicked, looking at me and then the area of the woods she came from. "Meet me here again tomorrow, at midnight, if you'll still be around?"

I nodded. "No worries, I'm not going anywhere."

It looked like she wanted to say one more thing but she didn't. She ran off into the woods and I frowned, realizing I never got her name.

***

When I got back home, it was dark outside. After losing the scent of the girl from the woods, I grew disappointed and decided to go back home. I took the long way home, just to make sure I wasn't being followed. Even though she's my mate and claims she doesn't want to kill anyone, I still couldn't trust her. She was the hunter's daughter after all.

When the coast seemed clear enough, I crossed over my packs boarders and went over to the bench where I left my clothes. I shifted quickly and put my clothes on. I walked back into the house through the back door. Mom was standing by the sink, making out with my dad, again.