fifteen

JAMIE

Hearing the way that Finn spoke about Rose, made me feel weird. He spoke about her like he was still in love with her, that if she was still here, he would choose her over his own mate. The way Finn spoke about Rose made me feel like I would always be a second choice to him.

"Rose was someone special to me. I met her once in the woods when I was younger and then I couldn't get her out of my head. I had just turned into my wolf and she was someone that was constantly on my mind. Rose had bright red hair, living up to her name, and always smelled lie strawberries. We would meet up secretly for months, always in different places so that our parents wouldn't find out. After a year, she told me who she really was, the hunter's daughter. Her father hates werewolves and was constantly looking for wolves to kill. Rose always told me she was nothing like her father, and I believed her."

Finn stopped talking, either trying to catch his thoughts or not get too overwhelmed with what we were talking about. Rose was someone that Finn still loved, it was clear in his voice. "Rose and I tried keeping our relationship a secret but then one night, her father must have followed her out into the woods and found us. He put two and two together and began screaming at me and her. He pointed a gun to me and she jumped in front of me. He dragged her away from me that night and I thought I would never see her again. A week later, the sirens in my pack started going off. There was an intruder. Rose's dad and the other hunters came and destroyed my pack. They killed my family and in the process, my dad killed Rose. During this war, I grabbed Grayson and anyone else I could find and I hid them away. Rose's father believed I was dead and then left my pack in flames."

Finn still wasn't looking at me. It was like he was remembering everything that had happened. He was tense and all I wanted to do was hug him and tell him that it would be alright.

"Rose's mom was murdered by a rouge wolf and her dad wanted vengeance. He would try to kill every wolf he could find. He must have found your pack and attacked them. I don't know what they did but they are on his radar and they need to be careful. That's why we need to mate and combine our packs so we can take him out for good."

I moved away from Finn and stood from the bed, grabbing the blanket in the process so he couldn't see my naked body. "What's wrong?"

Something in me told me I was being dramatic and overthinking but was I really? He never made and moves that he was truly into me. All Finn talked about was mating to just combine our packs together. "The only reason why you want to mate with me, your actual mate, is to combine my pack with yours. You just want us to be strong enough to kill Rose's dad."

Finn was silent and that gave me my answer. I began to walk away, not wanting to let me emotions get the best of me. I couldn't let him see me weak. "Where are you going?"

I was going into the hallway naked, with only a thin blanket to cover me. I was embarrassed but I couldn't stay in this room with him any longer. "Answer this for me, Finn, if Rose was to walk through that door right now, would you pick her over me?"

Finn was staring at me but wasn't saying anything. I got my answer from him and so I walked away.

***

After showering in my room and putting on some clothes, I decided that I didn't want to mope around about some guy, even if that guy was supposed to be my soulmate.

I walked away from him earlier and he didn't come after me, only proving my thoughts about him picking Rose over me. I decided that I didn't want to be in the pack house anymore so I left and went into the secret garden that Finn had showed me before. I transformed into my wolf, wanting to let out some steam. After a little while, someone joined me.

I turned around from where I was sitting and saw Sawyer come in. He sat down beside me and didn't say a word. I walked away from him and shifted back, quickly putting my clothes back on so that he wouldn't see me naked. When I was fully dressed again, I went back to where he was sitting and sat down next to him.

"I told you to be careful with Finn and not to break his heart again."

Was Sawyer serious? "You're joking right?"

Sawyer ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "Does it sound like I'm joking? Finn is moping around and punching walls out of anger so I have to ask, what did you do to him?"

I laughed bitterly. "Why don't you ask him what he did to me?"

Sawyer turned to look at me and by his facial expression, he was confused. "What are you talking about?"

I didn't want to look at Sawyer or his judgmental eyes. "Finn told me about Rose and the way he talked about her made it sound like he was still in love with her. I asked him who he would choose if Rose was still alive and he didn't tell me but I knew he was going to say her. So, I walked out on him."

"Shit, Jamie, I'm sorry."

I shrugged my shoulders and hugged my knees close to my chest. "It's whatever. It's not like we are mated anyway. Some things just aren't meant to work out if he's still hung up on his dead ex."

Sawyer was silent and I appreciated it. I didn't truly want to talk about this situation anymore. Sawyer laid on the ground, his one arm supporting his head. I laid down beside him, looking up at the sky and the sun setting. I loved the sunsets. After a rough day, it was always nice to just look up at the sky and see something beautiful.

"Hey, Jamie?"

I turned to Sawyer. He was looking at me and I never really noticed how pretty his hazel eyes are when looking at him. I also never noticed the small scar above his top lip or the slit going down his right eyebrow. All of these things were something I had never noticed before.

Was I ever this close to Sawyer before to notice these tiny things? The tiny scars that make up him?

So, tell me why I deiced to inch my face a little closer to his and why I decided to kiss him.

______________________