Sam Phantom Part 2

The next morning I wandered the hallways aimlessly before class, staring at the crowds of students at lockers, within classrooms, at ease in their world. I tried to hold my head high and walk confidently like I always do, but inside insecurity gnawed at me. Recalling last night helps a little, as I imagined Poindexter's ugly face vanishing into the ghost thermos, and the exhilarating arm wrestling match. Yet I couldn't quite lose myself in my imagination. I longed to talk to somebody about my life: the environmental rally, school- I just wanted to be heard. I wasn't used to being this quiet of a person.

Violent emotions churning within me, I passed a little bit of a spectacle. Vice Principal Thunder (because his wrath rains down like thunder upon misbehaving students) was harshly reprimanding a scowling darkly clad student. Every couple of seconds the vice principal stroked his vanity and livelihood: his luscious golden locks. Often students are attacked if they pose a threat those valuable hairs.

This time it just seemed like a violation of the school electronics policy: out of sight. But this was no ordinary offender: this was Tucker Foley. Resident techno-goth. When he'd introduced his title to me at the beginning of the school year when we were partners in biology, I had to look like I understood what he was talking about. Later when I got home I looked up the word, and apparently it means a person who is both obsessed with darkness and rebellion from society and technology.

I didn't know such a label existed, especially since they seem to be contrasting ideologies. But Tucker exists...so...I don't know. Tucker is sort of a loner too, but because he chooses to be isolated from society and focused more on technology. I mean, try to be friendly with him, but there's only so deep you can penetrate the exoskin of a techno goth.

After enduring a long and emphatic lecture from Vice Principal Thunder, Tucker slunk off to class, slouched and treating the world with indifference like he always does, only plus the obvious detention that must be hanging over him, and minus the phone screen he usually stares boredly into.

He probably doesn't value the environment either. Or anything.

I walked into my first period, which is English. With Vice Principal Thunder. I've already had too much of the man this morning. And this morning's insubordination has seemed to have made him in an even more irritable mood. Because Vice Principal Thunder shouldn't be a teacher. It's the truth! Administration was always this big boss's forte, but since our school was low on teachers for the English department, they made ol' Thunder Man take a class. Half of our class is him complaining about how much he hates teaching. He's hoping the Board of Education will realize their mistake and return him to his nice, cozy and powerful office soon.

My seat is in the risky location next to two of the "popular" crowd: Valerie Gray, head cheerleader, and her partner in crime, Star. These two demons in angel robes have decided I was fit for the spokes on their pitchforks since I first arrived, and jump at every opportunity to sneak little jabs at me.

The worst was when they'd convinced Vice Principal Thunder I was absent, and I spent the entire class period being more invisible than I already was. I'd really wanted to kick Valerie in the shins that day, but I'd restrained myself; she wasn't worth wasting a single ectoray on. Besides, I wasn't going to stoop down to her level.

As the students began entering the classroom, I searched for my favorite pen, an indigo ballpoint. If Valerie had stolen it ...I think I might be tempted to maybe waste one or two ectorays on her. Small ones.

But then a quiet voice piped up in front of me, and I looked up from my search to see a hand holding my pen out to me.

"I-I think you dropped this." I stared at him dumbly for a second, then smiled awkwardly.