Excuses. Chapter 17

Disclaimer: I don't own the picture above and have only done basic editing.

It had been almost a week since Yui had disappeared, and quite conveniently, the brothers wouldn't tell me anything about it. Ayato had contacted me once again, telling me he was determined on coming to the house tonight to find Yui. He hadn't been able to do so because of something that had happened on the day Yui disappeared, while we were chatting- he wouldn't tell me what it was but it was enough to keep him back from coming for Yui. 

I'm tired of apologizing to Ayato on a daily basis. He makes me feel like I haven't tried enough. But what if I haven't? 

I look around in the darkness as I hear whispers around me, no particular source visible. 

Am I sleeping? Dreaming?

I feel the edge of my bed sink in my subconscious state and slowly open my eyes, then turn my head to see the source of the disruption. My eyes instantly widen as I almost fall out the bed in surprise, only to be held by a pair of arms behind me. I look back to see the familiar golden eyes as Carla pushes me back onto the bed. I look in front of me to see the wolf getting off my bed and treading lightly towards Shin, who stands up straight while trying to hold in his laughter. 

"How about I send a couple of bats to sit next to you when you wake up?" I huff out in frustration and sit up straight, looking back at Carla, who was simply standing with his arms crossed. "Thanks," I mutter and rub my head as silence falls in the room. 

"So, how are you?" Shin asks and sits on the edge of my bed as I tilt my head in confusion.

"You were feeling pretty suicidal the last time we saw you."

"Uhm, what?"

"Well, you were ready to live in the Sakamaki's mansion so I would say that's pretty suicidal considering how much you despise them." He shrugs casually, making me chuckle lightly.

"Speaking of which, I have been awfully rude to some of them in school lately. My hatred for them would explain why." I scrunch up my nose to express the matter of fact as I remember my conversations with Shu, Subaru, and Ayato. 

"Yeah, we've witnessed some of those conversations. Pretty badass of you, to be honest." Shin raises his fist in the air, waiting for me to bump it back. I raise my eyebrow at his awfully cheery behavior but bump fists with him anyway. 

"What? Were you stalking me or something?" 

"No, just passing by. We go to the same school too, you know?" Carla joins in with his monotone voice as I smile knowingly. 

"So, why are you two here?" At the mention, their expressions instantly drop as they exchange glances while I simply watch them do so in suspicion. 

"We just wanted to, you know, make sure you were really okay, that's it." Shin waves his hands around as if dismissing the question immediately and I don't question it further even though I feel that I should've. 

"Okay, then- well, here I am: all well and doing good." I raise my hands in the air to emphasize my answer and seem more confident. 

"Liar." Carla jokingly mutters and Shin's head snaps up as if remembering something important.

"Oh! Now I remember: when do you plan on going out with your brothers?" I raise my eyebrow at Shin's sudden question and begin answering with caution.

"Uh... I don't know, to be honest, they are too busy with Yui to even pay attention to me- am I being needy? I know this is a sudden and completely unrelated question but-"

"No, no, I understand. And no, you're not being needy. It does seem like they are not giving you enough attention. You seem to be in constant stress too, especially in school from what we've seen." Shin smirks at Carla as if referring to a few disasters I have caused in school recently. They, however, go quiet when I sigh loudly, not really enjoying the path this conversation was taking. "Wait, how about this- I think you should be out of the house today-" 

"What he means is: we could take you out for something fun." Carla cuts Shin off from speaking any further with a firm tone, perhaps, secretly conveying something to Shin in the process. 

"I would love to, honestly, but I don't think I will want to be outside today. I have some... school project to do- p-plus I have to pay for the damage I caused in school." I attempt my best at lying to them but they only tilt their heads in confusion.

"But... hasn't your father already done so? Pay for the damage?" I look at Shin as if he had grown two heads but when his confusion remains, I begin to understand what he did behind my back.

"Well, if he did, I don't know about it. I have to do my school work anyway-"

"But~ you've been suspended so you have more time to do whatever you have to." Shin counter-argues as I turn my gaze to Carla for his reaction, but when he doesn't seem fazed by this, I look back at Shin with narrow eyes.

"How do you know I've been suspended?" Shin's expression visibly tenses, making my eyes narrow further as I tighten my lips into a thin line. Carla clears his throat and joins in before Shin can say anything further.

"We are students at Ryoutei, Anna. News travels fast there." Carla explains with slightly wide eyes as if explaining something very obvious.

I'm too tired to question them further, man.

I simply sigh and look down at my lap, defeated. 

"Fine, I appreciate the offer but I seriously won't be able to make it. Perhaps, tomorrow."

"It can't be tomorrow."

"Why not?! Why are you being so pushy about this?" I raise my voice slightly but they seem to falter, even if a little. 

"You know what? It's okay, we can hang out some other time, but we really need to go now." Carla sighs and looks away instantly, letting me win the argument for now.

I'm sorry, Carla and Shin, I have to help out Ayato any way possible. 

I look away and close my eyes as Shin gets up from the bed without another word and both of them reluctantly leave with the wolf following them closely. As silence follows, I curl myself up and hug my knees tightly, not feeling like going back to sleep anymore. 

Was the wolf that died that day part of their pack? Was that why they were here?