[Chapter 10] Look How Happy They Are

My eyes fluttered open to a world of faint gray. I began to freak out when I grabbed for my face and felt something over it. I snatched the piece of paper that had been placed over my face in my hand and blinked a few times before reading the message written on it.

Went out to breakfast with Brendon. Should be back by noon at the latest.
Claire

I rolled my eyes and crumpled up the piece of paper, swinging my legs over the side of the bed and sitting up, rubbing my eyes. I dropped my arms to my sides and looked around the room, which so happened to be Claire's bedroom (I must've fallen asleep after comforting her all night), for a clock so I could see what time it was. On one of the nightstands I found the digital clock. 12:56p.m. I rubbed my eyes again and stood up, walking out of the room and scratching my head. I made my way into the living room that was illuminated by the sunlight that shone through the French glass doors that led to a balcony.

I entered the small kitchen and opened the fridge, scanning the shelves for something to eat or drink for lunch. I wasn't really hungry though and there was barely anything in the fridge other than take out food from god knows how long ago, a couple of six packs of beer, and a few bottles of wine.

Just then, the door clicked open. I glanced over my shoulder and watched Claire walk in, followed by Brendon. He had just finished telling her something that made her laugh, which resulted in him laughing too. She spun around so she was facing him and draped her arms around his neck, telling him she'd talk to him. He nodded his head in understanding before leaving her with a kiss on the lips. Claire closed the door behind him and looked over at me. The same expression she had when she walked in at two this morning crossed her face again

"Patrick," She greeted uneasily, a meek smile crawling onto her face, "Hey. What's up?"

"Oh, nothing, I was just looking for something to eat," I told her, looking back in the refrigerator.

"Why don't we go out?" Claire suggested, "I don't really have anything here..."

"I know," I replied, closing the fridge, "But yeah, we should. Just let me get dressed, okay?"

"Okay," She flashed me a small smile.

I walked past her and back into the hallway where my suitcase was still sitting on the floor. I picked it up and walked into the spare bedroom to change. The message on the wall was now unreadable, smeared, as if someone (who I could only guess was Claire) had tried to wash it away. I heaved a sigh and closed the door behind me, walking over the bed and setting my suitcase down on the bed.

I unzipped it and flipped the top back to reveal a picture sitting on top of my clothes. I glanced over my shoulder before returning my attention to the photograph, picking it up to get a better look at it.

The picture was dark, and I could only make out so much. I could make out three men, a dining table, and a chandelier that hung above the center of the table. The three men were Pete, Joe, and Andy. The table they were sitting at was covered in trays upon trays of food. Along with the trays of food there were jugs of wine. Each of my band mates had an IV stuck in their arm, and the IV was attached to a bag hanging from a rack in the center of the table. I highly doubted that the liquid in the bag that was slowly creeping into my friends' bloodstreams was saline.

I squinted my eyes a little. And that when I realized that the food on the trays wasn't food at all. It was organs. And in their mouths were the organs. I nearly gagged before folding the picture up and discarding the picture in the small garbage bin by the door. A shiver was sent up my spin as I walked back over to the bed and picked out a new shirt and pair of pants.