[Chapter 19] Behind It All

We pulled up to the hospital and I jumped out of the car, running up the walkway before stopping in the doorway and looking back. Brendon had gotten out of his car as well but he was just standing there.

"Are you coming?" I called out to him.

He stared at me for a little before shouting back, "N-No, I'm good!"

"You sure?"

"Yeah! Just tell me if Claire's alright or not, okay?" I shook my head yes. He gave me a reassuring smile before waving his hands and adding, "Now go! You don't have all day!"

I nodded my head and rushed inside the hospital. No one seemed to be here and an eerie bluish light filled the rooms and hallways. I had no clue where to go, so I just started running down deserted hallways, up empty staircases, opening every closed door and looking inside.

On the third floor, there was a long hallway, the lights closest to the me flickering and the lights at the end of the hallway completely out. Most people in their right minds wouldn't even dare go down that hallway. They know what happens in horror films. But I took the chance and ventured down the ominous hallway. They had to be there.

I entered the darkness and had to feel my way around. I must've hit the end of the hallway because the next I know I'm running into a wall. I took a step back and started blindly looking for a doorknob, or any clue that there was a door. Sure enough, there was. I grasped onto the doorknob and turned it, pushing the door open.

The door opened into a dark room, but it was entirely dark like the end of the hallway was, because there were red lights shining upon my three friends who were sitting against the wall in chairs, their wrists tied to the arms of the chair and their ankles tied to the feet. Their clothes were tattered and ripped, in fact, they were the same clothes they were wearing from the concert. Their heads were hung low and blood and dirt covered their exposed skin. Their faces were pale and they had dirty cloths tied around their mouths.

When I entered the room, they looked up at me and that's when I noticed their tired eyes, their sad expressions which evolved into worried ones. I cocked my eyebrow in confusion. It was like they weren't even relieved that I was there.

Pete started screaming at me, his screams muffled, and moving violently in his chair. As if he was trying to warn me.

That's when the door I had walked through slammed shut behind me and I spun around.

"Well well, look who finally found his way here," A familiar voice sounded. That's when, from the shadows, emerged Claire, a smirk on her face. My eyes widened.

"You," I muttered in disbelief.

She giggled, "Yes. Me. Congratulations. You solved the mystery."

"Y-You were the one behind it all this time!?!" I shouted at her, anger boiling up inside of me.

Claire tilted her head to the side and flashed me a smile, "Yeah, I guess I was."

"But...but..."

"But nothing, Patrick. It was me. All. This. Time. And I know, I was with you the whole time. Helping you. How could I possibly be behind it all?" She walked up to me and gripped my shoulders, moving me further into the room, standing me against the wall adjacent to the ones my friends were sitting along, watching in fear of what she was going to do to me. She stepped back and put her hands on her hips, "But let's be honest, I didn't do anything but put ideas into your head of who would possibly do such a horrible thing to your innocent punk rock band. Your wife...my husband..."

That's when a bright light turned on, nearly blinding me. I put my arm up to the block the light and that's when I saw the axe attached to the ceiling. A line was attached to it and ran along the ceiling and down the wall to an egg timer. I could hear the constant ticking within it. Five minutes. I swallowed hard.