[Chapter 20] Dead!

The timer went off and the kill switch was released.

The axe swung down, impaling Claire right through her torso.

She looked down at the axe before coughing up blood.

I stared at her in shock. Oh my god.

She glanced up at me and blood streamed down her chin, down her neck, and began to soak into her shirt, around the neckline and around the axe. She opened her mouth to say something when she gave her last breath, her eyes closing and her head dropping forward.

I stood there for a little, staring at the horrific sight. Oh my god.

The muffled screams of my friends snapped me out of the lackadaisical state I had fallen into. I shook my head and rushed over to my band, untying the ropes that bound their wrists and ankles to the chairs. Pete was the last to be freed, and when I untied him, he jumped at me and hugged me tightly. I hugged him back and laughed. "Good to see you too," I murmured into his shoulder.

"I thought I was going to die, man," Pete told me, slightly of breath, before pulling out of the embrace. "I seriously thought I was going to die."

"You know I wouldn't let that happen to you. To any of you."

"How'd you find us anyways?" Joe questioned.

"She kind of led me here," I glanced over at Claire's lifeless body. I shook my head and looked back at Pete, "But that's not important. What's important is that you're okay. That you're all okay." I looked over at Joe and Andy. "Let's get out of here, guys." The three of them had no hesitation before getting up and rushing out of the room. I looked over at Claire once more.

As for me, I stayed behind. I walked up to Claire and stared at her. I raised my hand and pushed a piece of her red hair out of her face. "I'm sorry about what my wife did to you," I apologized as if she could hear me, acknowledge what I was saying. "I really am. And I'm sorry it had to end like this." I chuckled slightly, "But to think I actually kind of meant what I said..." I stared at her for a little more before turning and walking out of the room, joining my friends who were at the end of the hallway. They didn't know where to go so I had to lead the way out.

Brendon, who was still outside, had walked around his car when we exited the hospital and met the guys and me halfway up the sidewalk.

"Brendon?" Pete inquired. "What are you-"

The lead singer of Panic! completely ignored Pete and walked right up to me, gripping my upper arms tightly and looking directly into my eyes. "Is she okay?"

"Um..." My cheeks burned up and I found myself at a loss for words. How was I supposed to tell him that Claire was dead? That an axe that she set up to go straight through my torso went straight through hers?

"Please tell me she's okay," Brendon begged, worry in his eyes.

"Who are you talking about?" Andy questioned.

"Claire," I replied to him without breaking my gaze with Claire's husband. I stepped out of his hold and stammered, "I-I'm sorry, Brendon. But Claire...she...she's dead."

Brendon just stood there, staring at me.

"I'm so sorry," I muttered as Brendon pushed past the guys and me and rushed into the building. "Brendon, wait!" I cried, extending my hand out. But Pete held me back.

"Let him find out for himself. It'd be better that way," He told me, patting me on the shoulder. I heaved a sigh and tilted my head down.

*****

We knew when Brendon found Claire because his scream was heard all the way outside. For someone who didn't really love his wife and was cheating on her the entire time he was with her, he sure was devastated and mortified when he found her. The paramedics and police were on site within a matter of minutes. (I assumed Brendon called them because none of us had our phones with us, therefore having no way to contact help.)

The paramedics took my three friends away, to treat them for the injuries that they sustained while being held captive. The police would ask them questions once they were in better condition.

As for me, the police talked to me right there at the scene. Being the good person I was, I should've told them everything. I should've told them that Claire had drugged my friends and me and that her friends, Kiera and Scarlett, were accomplices who took my friends out here and tortured them upon Claire's orders. I should've told them that Claire was going to kill me the same way she got killed, and that I'm the reason she's dead.

But I didn't.

I couldn't bring myself to.

Instead, all I told them was "You know, it was all such a blur. I-I can't really tell you what happened."

And they bought it. Of course paparazzi were on the scene, word got around fast, but the police who weren't asking me questions

They told me to go home. That they'd talk to Pete, Andy, and Joe about it later, see what they have to say about what happened (if they can recall what happened and are comfortable talking about it).

So that's what I did. I went home.

Author's Note: Well...this is the horribly written last chapter of XO! I'm so sorry it's so bad. BUT THERE IS AN EPILOGUE THAT WILL BE OUT SATURDAY! And hopefully that will be better than this way. Anyways, I just wanted to thank you guys for all the reads and votes throughout this book, it really means a lot to me, and I hope you liked it! -Rachael