[Chapter 18] Apartment 8

Brendon and I left later that evening. Since I didn't have money for a plane ride, and I refused to let him buy me one, we ended up driving their together in his small red pick up truck. The drive was twenty-nine hours, and leaving later that evening would get us to California by the next day. There wasn't much talking at first, but when the music on the radio got old, we resorted to small-talk. Soon enough, we were in Los Angeles.

15 Days Left...

Brendon pulled into the parking lot of an apartment building. He turned off the car and looked over at me, "If Claire was telling you the truth, this is where she should be. Her friends live in Apartment 8 on the second floor."

"Aren't you coming?" I asked him. He shook his head no. "What? Why?"

He heaved a sigh and replied, "I don't want to. It'll just bring back old memories."

"What do you mean?"

"Just go check and make sure Claire's there and okay, alright?" He snapped at me, grabbing onto the steering wheel even though we weren't going anywhere. I wasn't going to argue with him, so I just nodded my head and got out of the car.

I made my way into the apartment building. Her friends linve in Apartment 8 on the second floor, Brendon's voice sounded in my head. "Apartment 8 on the second floor," I said aloud before walking over to the little radio and pressing the button to Apartment 8.

I stepped back and looked up at the camera in the corner of the room, a red light blinking periodically. I walked forward and got on my tiptoes to get a better look at it.

Just then, a buzz sounded and I heard a lock being released. I jerked my head backwards and saw the door behind me slightly ajar. I gave one more quick glance to the camera before turning around and walking through the threshold of the door, starting up the first flight of stairs up to the second floor.

Once there, I repeated what Brendon had told me. "Apartment 8 on the second floor." I began down the hallway, muttering the apartment numbers under my breath as I passed by them. "Five...Six...Seven...Eight!" I stopped in front of the apartment and was about to knock when the door swung open. Standing in the apartment in the doorway were two girls, two girls I could only guess to be Kiera and Scarlett.

A friendly smile crawled onto my face. "Hi," I greeted, "I'm-"

"Patrick Stump," The skinnier of the two cut me short, "Lead singer of Fall Out Boy. You're all over the news. We know exactly who you are"

"Question is: how do you know who we are?" The other girl inquired.

"I'm a friend of Claire's. Is she here?" I shifted my weight to the right and upward, trying to look over their shoulders in an attempt to see into the apartment.

"You just missed her," The skinny one informed me, "She just left for the day."

"Do you know where she went?"

The two girls exchanged looks before looking back at me and replying in unison, "No."

An incredulous expression appeared on my face. I wasn't sure if it was the intuition that they probably had a wordless conversation before I arrived and agreed to not tell me where she was or if it was the redness that faded into their cheeks that made me not believe them. But for all I knew, they could be telling me the truth. I never knew.

"Are you sure?" I pressed.

"Yes," They once again retorted at the same time. Okay, something's up, I thought to myself.

"Oh, alright," I replied, slipping my hands into the pockets of my pants and apologizing, "Sorry to have bothered you. Would you tell Claire when she comes back that I came by?"

"Sure thing," The one who was slightly overweight and had dark brown hair retorted, a smile appearing on her face. I nodded my head and turned away, walking back down the hallway.

Just before I reached the staircase, I stopped and looked over my shoulder, turning around and running back, knocking on the door. I stood there for about a minute before the door opened back up. "You wouldn't happen to know where the Linda Vista Hospital is, would you?" I questioned the girl who answered the door. She was the one with light brown hair and glasses.

"Why would you want to go there?" She asked me.

"Who is it, Scarlett?" Kiera's, by process of elimination, voice sounded from somewhere else in the apartment.

"It's Patrick!" Scarlett called back before returning her attention to me, "Wait...what'd you say you were going there for again?"

"I-I was just wondering," I stammered, scratching behind my neck.

"Why? It's not like Claire's there or anything..." Her eyes widened as her voice trailed off and her cheeks grew a bright shade of red. A smirk crawled onto my face. Something is definitely up. Scarlett looked over her shoulder and croaked, "Kiera?"

"What?"

"I-I think he's onto us."

"Oh yeah," I remarked before turning away and rushing down the hallway and out of the apartment building. I hopped back into Brendon's car and ordered him to drive, strapping the sealt belt over my chest.

"Where?" He asked me, starting the car up and reversing out of the parking spot.

"The Linda Vista Hospital," I replied, looking out the window and tapping my foot nervously, "Claire's there. And so are my friends."