[Chapter 16] Shh!

After asking many strangers on the street where the closest library was, some who had completely ignored my question and asked me how I was doing (you know, seeing as my band was drugged and three-fourths of them were kidnapped), I finally found my way.

I walked through the doors and looked around for a computer. Once I spotted one, among many others occupied by other people, I walked over to it, pulling out the rolling chair and sitting down. I grabbed the mouse and moved the pointer to the button that said Use This Computer. I clicked the button and the screen changed, one where I had to type in my last name and my library card number.

"Library card number?" I muttered to myself. I don't have a fucking library card. Even if I did, I wouldn't have it on me because XO stole my phone and wallet. I glanced around, seeing that everyone else had gotten on and were doing there own things. Everyone can't possibly have a library card, I tried to convince myself, Someone must've gotten on without using a library card.

I must've attracted the attention of one of the librarians because the next I know, I heard a sweet voice ask, "Can I help you?"

I looked back and saw a girl who looked to be in her twenties standing behind me. She had long pin-straight red velvet colored hair and big green eyes.

"Yes," I replied, looking back at the computer, "I can't get on."

"Did you try typing in your library card number?" She asked, bending down beside me and placing her hand on top of mine. I tensed up as she moved my hand and clicked the bar where I was supposed to put the number. "Can I see your card?"

"I...um...I don't have a card," I admitted to her, slipping my hand out from under hers and rubbing the back of my neck.

"What do you mean?" She inquired, standing back up and crossing her arms over her chest.

"I don't have a card," I repeated, "But I really need to get on a computer and-"

"I'm sorry," She cut me off, "But no card, no computer access." She began to walk away when I jumped out of the chair and caught her by the arm. She gasped in astonishment and looked back at me.

"Please, I need to use a computer!" I cried, "You don't understand! This may or may not save my friends lives!"

"Oh really?" She replied sassily, "How?"

I sighed. Doesn't she watch the news or recognize who I am? "I need to look up directions to St. Louis Ave. They're being held hostage there and I need to go save them!"

"Nice try, but no," She turned away from me and walked back to her desk. I followed her.

"What's your name?"

"None of your business," She answered, sitting down at the desk and pulling her chair in.

"No, seriously!"

She rolled her eyes, "Abby."

"Abby. Please, you don't understand! You need to let me on a computer!" I tried to tell her, but she just shook her head and started doing work. I slammed my hands down on the desk and said angrily, "Look, about two weeks ago I was on stage performing when I passed out." She raised her eyebrows as if she was interested in what I had to say, but I took it as a sarcastic gesture. I sighed and continued, "We were drugged. And then my three band members and I were separated. I'm supposed to find them in the next...what day is it today?"

"February 17th," She told me without ever looking up at me.

I did the quick math in my head before telling her, "I have seventeen days to find them."

"Ooh, seventeen days..." She replied comically.

I rolled my eyes. I bet she and Claire knew each other. "Please, Abby, let me on the computer. I won't need more than ten minutes! I swear!"

"No card, no computer access," She repeated what she had told me earlier, beginning to type on the keyboard.

I smacked my forehead. This argument was getting me any closer to finding the guys and time was ticking. I heaved a sigh and put my hands down on the desk once again, this time not as forceful, "Okay, what do I need to do to get a library card?"

She reached her hand under the desk before pulling out a thin piece of plastic and sliding it across the desk, picking a pen out from the cup and setting it on top. "Just sign your name."

I gave her a baffled look.

"All you have to do is sign your name and then you can do whatever you want. Take a book out, use the computer..." I hurriedly picked up the pen and scribbled my name down like I had done countless times before when giving signatures. I capped the pen and she took the plastic, typing the information into the computer before breaking off the card and handing it to me, saying, "Hope you find your directions and save your friends, Patrick." She smirked and extended her hand out to me. So she did know me. Or she just looked at the card. Either way. I snatched the card from her, glaring at her briefly, and walked back over to the computer I was previously sitting at.

*****

I ended up staying on the computer more than the ten minutes I told the librarian was all I needed. I had hooked up the phone and worked my magic again in the editor, making sure I had the street sign right. But that's when I noticed something else outside the window. Another, bigger sign. I zoomed in on that and cocked my head to the side, as if it would help me get a better look at it. I titled my head back and began to sharpen that part of the image.

"Linda Vista Community Hospital," I mumbled under my breath. Linda Vista Community Hospital. Where is that?

I exited out of the editor program and pulled up the internet. I went to Google and typed in "Linda Vista Community Hospital". It took less than a second to come up with about 350,000 results. To the right was a quick glimpse of the place and information about it.

"Hospital in Los Angeles!?!" I practically shouted, which received me a collective Shh! from everyone around me who all seemed to put their index finger to their lips and furrow their eyebrows angrily at the same time. Like a bunch of robots. "Sorry..." I apologized, returning my attention to the google search.

Los Angeles, I thought to myself, Why are they in Los Angeles?

That's when I gasped. Remembering what Claire had said to me before she left.

"...I'm going to go see some friends of mine...Kiera and Scarlett, to be specific...They live in Los Angeles..."

My eyes widened in realization.

Brendon wasn't the kidnapper.

He never was.

I made a mistake. A big one.

They weren't being held captive on St. Louis Ave in Chicago, Illinois. They were being help captive on St. Louis Street in Los Angeles, California.

It was just some freak coincidence Brendon lived on St. Louis Ave in Chicago, and even a freakier coincidence that they used to live in Los Angeles, and that's where Claire was right now with her friends...

So if Brendon wasn't the kidnapper...and the guys and XO were at the Linda Vista Community Hospital in Los Angeles...

"CLAIRE!" I screamed, jumping to my feet, yanking the phone and cord out of the computer and rushing out of the library. The collective Shh! followed me out. "Oh shut up! I've finally got the stuff to find my band!" I yelled at them all before stepping outside.