Staring at the stars

I own only the characters I have created for the purpose of this story.  The rest is owned by Marvel. 

Alexa's POV

After snacks were gathered, blankets were retrieved and we were all herded into the living room. We settle and the movie starts to play.

Like every time we have a Disney movie night, the singing was loud and atrocious. But we enjoyed it anyway.

I even caught Liam joining in for some of the songs, taking a break from generally looking either confused or delighted.

Once the screen fades and the credits roll, Friday raises the lights that I hadn't noticed had dimmed.

As yawns scatter around the room, I decide to take my leave.

"I'm gonna head up now guys. Goodnight!"

A chorus of farewells follow me to the elevator as I hear Liam shuffle to join me, murmuring a similar sentiment.

The elevator ride is quiet and we lean against opposite walls, tiredness hitting us like a ton of bricks.

"What did you mean to show me earlier when we were up in your room?"

I open my half-closed eyes at the question and stand up straight.

"I'll show you now, come on."

Before I can cross from the elevator to my room, I notice the fireplace crackling brightly. Acting as the only light source in the darkened room.

Checking the thermostat on the wall clues me in to the temperature.

It has dropped 48.2 degrees outside (9 degrees Celsius). The closed curtains shelter the city lights from our view.

I open my bedroom door and find my windows still uncovered, covering my room in the sparkling lights of the surrounding cityscape. Gorgeous normally, but I need darkness for the next bit.

"Friday please lower my bedroom blinds and turn on Galaxy"

Liam looks at me confused as I sit on my soft cream carpet, laying backwards so I'm staring at the ceiling.

I gesture him over and he takes the hint to lie down beside me as a deep purple light flickers over my ceiling.

The silence of the night is interrupted by a soft click of the blinds lowering fully, and Liam gasps sharply.

What was a plain ceiling is now covered in a moving, detailed galaxy. Backlit by the purple glow.

We begin to stargaze in silence for a few minutes. Our quiet breathing fills the silence as the stars above dance in our eyes.

"When did you get this?" I hear him softly ask beside me.

"A while ago, I mentioned at dinner that I couldn't see the stars because of all the light pollution in the city. Tony's response to this was to make me this for my birthday."

A soft sigh is heard before he responds.

"I know I keep saying this, but this place is truly amazing"

I laugh softly, not wanting to break the comforting atmosphere that we've created.

"It is amazing. I'm so lucky to have grown up here, I know a lot of people don't have the opportunities I do. And now you get to live here too".

He turns to me and I twist my head to the side so I can make eye contact.

"Are you ok with that?"

"Of course."

We lie there in silence for a while and watch as the constellations move overhead gently. The gentle light of the milky way overhead lighting up my bedroom.

After a while, I lift my head and glance back towards my bedside table, a floating shelf attached to the side of my bed frame.

The pale purple alarm clock sitting there alerts me of the time.

12:46 PM.

Probably time for bed.

I sit up and stretch. Popping my joints from lying still for so long.

"Bedtime?"

"Bedtime."

I instruct Liam on where to grab a sleeping bag and set up a thick mattress on my floor.

Before the clock hit half past one, we were both asleep drifting off into the limitless bounds of our own imaginations.