Part 4~The choice

It was safe to say I hated dragon training. I hated seeing each get hurt so I tried to stop it. Easier said than done. It meant I had to be first to the dragon and be able to get them to recognise me before stopping them with either dragon nip or the weak point, all without getting noticed.

I was doing somewhat okay, I few dodgy rounds with Astrid but mostly I was able to keep the dragons out of harm. Unfortunately, this meant almost everyone was watching me.

It was getting harder to sneak to the cove to see Toothless or to talk to the dragons.

Annoyingly, Astrid was the hardest to deal with as she hated me for suddenly becoming good. She would often try and follow me but becoming a quick speed stinger would often lose her.

There hasn’t been a raid since dad went out to fight the nest but I could hear the queen cold commanding voice ordering the attack on her waters. I felt bad for dad and wanted to help him but I couldn’t. Not without losing control and I couldn’t risk that.

I’ve been itching for a flight for a week now. Growling lowly, I sat up and quietly snuck out the house. It didn’t take long for me to get to the cove as the sun started to rise over the ocean.

“Toothless?” I called out as my brother practically jumped on me, licking my face. “Ah, come on bud, you know that doesn’t wash out!”

I smiled at Toothless as we heard laughing in the background. “Well, someone’s happy to see you.”

Spinning, I saw mum landing with Cloudjumper. I quickly jumped up as I hugged her happily. I couldn’t stop myself from searching her for injuries as she laughed. “I haven’t been hurt, Hiccup.”

I smiled shyly as we sat down.

“So anything new I should know about?” Mum asked me as I sighed.

“I’m in dragon training…” I mumbled sadly as she watched me.

“How’s it going?” She asked me as I collapsed on the ground, staring at the sky.

“I don’t know! I’ve stopped the dragons from being killed by the other Vikings but I’m going to have to kill the Nightmare! Hookfang may have a pride problem but he doesn’t deserve to die in a cage for some sport that isn’t necessary!” I screamed as I thought about everything that was happening.

“I know you’re having problems but, it will be okay. You’ll work out something, and if you don’t have another option, you can always fake your own death and come with me.” Mum suggested as I laughed.

“Yeah, guess so.” I jumped up as I hugged her.

I stayed the rest of the day with her as I knew we didn’t have dragon training and when I left, it was reluctant.

I went straight to the forge as I worked on a new shield. I didn’t even know dad was back until he entered my room, just in time for me to get hit by my mini catapult.

“Hiccup, I know about the dragon.” Dad said sternly as I gave him a confused look.

The dragon could mean a lot of different things. “What are you talking about?” I asked as he walked towards me.

“Nothing happens on this island without me knowing. Now tell me out the dragon.”

Once again I was very confused as I looked at him. He had to mean the dragon training, dragons, right?

Before I could ask he burst out laughing as I watched him. “You’re not mad?” I asked as he smiled brighter than I ever thought possible. Yeah, he is talking about dragon training.

“Mad? Of course not. I was hoping for this! Just wait, it gets better! Just imagine spilling a Nadder’s gut for the first time or mounting a Gronkle head on a spear, oh what a feeling! Thor O mattie, you really had me going there. Years of the worse Viking ever known and Odin it was tough but with you doing so well in the ring, we finally have something to talk about.” Dad pulled up a chair to talk to me as he finished his speech.

I didn’t say anything. How could I? I was being praised for a lie; something that was wrong and a trick. He was happier than I’ve ever seen him before. How could I ruin that?

“I have something for you.” He stated as I stayed quiet. He slowly pulled out a Viking helmet, that I knew instantly wouldn’t fit me.

“Wow, thanks…” I tried to sound happy but it was hard when I was holding a symbol of everything I hated.

“Your mother would have wanted you to have it. It’s half of her breast plate.” Dad explained as I retracted my hand and forced a smile to my face. “It keeps her close.”

I gently put down the hat as we stood in silence. After a while I faked a yawn and started to make up some excuse to get him out. I could hear him leaving as he knocked over multiple objects on the way.

I sighed as I prepared for tomorrow. The final battle. Tomorrow I will either have to run away or watch Astrid kill Hookfang; there is no way out of this.

The crowd cheered. The dragon roared. The chief watched proudly. But they didn’t know what consequences this day would have.

Meatlug flow around the room knocking the young warriors out of her way as she went to her only alley in the ring. Together they performed. Fake hits and fake pains. Until she laid down and the match was over.

Astrid screamed in frustration as she swung her axe widely. She wanted to win. She needed to win. She was going to be fearless Astrid Hofferson. She wasn’t meant to place second.

But as Gobber’s hand waved over her head, she was. She was second. And the chief only heir was first. The mistake, the useless, the fishbone, placed higher than her and the town rejoiced.

But he didn’t want it. He couldn’t want it. He wasn’t one of them. He wasn’t going to fight. He was someone, something different and no one would ever know.

With no other choice, he knew what he had to do. He knew what had to happen. He knew there was only one option.

After tonight, Hiccup Haddock, would be dead.