Part 13~What happened?

It was a good morning. The sun was shining, birds were singing, Vikings were screaming. Normal day on Berk. The smell of fire in the air.

Swiftly, Avery and I ran from the scene of the crime. I had been showing him around Berk when he got startled and set fire to the forest. We made our way into the forge as we snuck into the back. Avery hiding in his usual spot.

I put on my apprin and started sharpening one of the swords.

"I heard that there was a forest fire, Hiccup. I wonder what caused that?" Gobber raised his eyebrow at me as I gave him a sheepish smile.

"I have no idea Gobber," I said while rolling my shoulders.

"I'm sure you don't. So, how is the boy who doesn't exist?" Gobber gave me a calculating look, gathering that Avery was very likely nearby.

"He is improving. Stopped glaring at birds. He still doesn't like anyone else," I recapped for him.

It's been a few weeks since Avery had joined us on Berk. He had been learning about everything. He seemed to be getting adjusted well. He stopped attacking Toothless and Windshear. He no longer glared at every bird that landed in the cove and was able to tell the difference between dragons and birds. He also became... civil with Gobber and tolerant with Heather. I hadn't yet to introduce him to anyone else but I had used Terror mail to tell the riders what was happening.

A few days ago I had decided to start showing Avery around the town. We would sneak around the outskirts and show him the different parts. He was enjoying it but often small things would set him off and he would send a fireball into the air. This had led to many fires spreading around town.

We had to hide somewhere and the safest place was the forge, Gobber didn't mind but the fires were really getting on dad's nerves.

Avery had learnt basic Norse and had taught me basic Greek but he still mainly talked in dragonese.

I stayed in the Forge until the sun had set before retreating and very bored Avery and bringing him back to the cove.

Avery seemed apologetic about blowing up the forest but I didn't let him feel too bad for too long.

When we went back to the cove, we started our usual training. I taught him a bit Norse and he taught me a bit of Greek, followed by reading and writing. Lastly, I taught him to fold away his wing and tail which, as usual, did not end well and he ended up sending spikes in every direction, almost hitting me.

Since it was getting dark we decided to call it a night. Toothless and I went to catch some fish while Avery stayed at the cove.

A huge roar suddenly echoed over the land, disorienting us and causing us the crash into the ground. I cover my ears while hissing.

When the roar stopped, I tried to stand up but fell over instantly. After a few minutes, we were able to fly back to the cove. I could see Avery growling and shooting spikes and acid at mum and Cloudjumper.

I jumped down between mum and Avery, holding up my hands in self defence. Toothless jumped down and calmed down Cloudjumper.

"Avery, it's okay. They are friends, they won't hurt you," I said soothingly. Avery seemed to calm down at my appearance, his eyes returning to the amazing molten silver grey orbs.

"Hiccup?" Mum walked forward, gently reaching out her arm to touch my shoulder. "Who is this?"

Before mum could touch out my shoulder Avery launched forward and threw me back. Avery shot another spurt of acid at mum who dodged to the side.

Hopping up I quickly ran forward, pushing Avery to the ground, I held him down his wrist, pinning his to the ground. "Calm down Avery!" I roared at him, letting my teeth become sharp.

Avery became scared at my roar as he whimpered.

"Sorry, Avery," I apologised before letting him go. "Avery, this is my mum and Cloudjumper," I introduce before looking at mum. "Mum this is Avery," I said in Norse.

"Hello there. I am Valka," mum said sweetly while kneeling down so as not to intimidate Avery.

Avery let out a low growl, lowering his body close to the ground. He walked in front of me, holding out his wing in front of me, seeming to think that mum was a threat.

"It's okay, I am not going to hurt you," mum whispered calmly.

Avery snarled at mum but didn't attack her.

"He's like you," mum said in slight awe.

"She's a smart one," Avery hissed to me in dragonese. Mum gave us a confused look as I just shook my head.

"How about we get dinner ready," I suggested before walking back into the cove, Avery curling up by the fire.

Mum was cautious when entering the cove, Avery growling at her for coming near his 'nest'.

"Avery, that's enough. She'll only be here a few days, can you try to tolerate her like you do with Heather," I pleaded as he only laid down his head and waited for dinner.

Mum and I talked for a while, enjoying her being here. She told me that she had been following some hunters for the last two weeks and thus hadn't received any knowledge of us finding Avery. I explained to her what had happened and what I was doing now but she didn't seem too pleased with my lack of the answer to the question, what are you going to do once he is calm?

Thankfully, she did change the subject and instead talked to me about what had happened at the sanctuary, telling me funny stories about Eret's attempts at taming Skullcrusher.

I noticed Avery leaving the cove slightly saddened and such went after him. I found him with his knees pulled into his chest with his wings curled protectively around himself.

"Avery, you okay?" I carefully sat beside her before speaking.

"I'm fine," Avery whispered as I sighed and wrapped my wing around his shoulders.

"Are you sure? You've been acting a little weird since mum arrived," I said while playing with his hair.

Avery let out a small sigh before leaning into my shoulder. "It's nothing, at first I thought she was going to hurt us but when you pinned me down I knew that wasn't the case and I was scared I had made you hate me like everyone else."

"I won't ever hate you," I said calmly despite the anger I felt inside.

Avery didn't respond to my statement.

"Avery, I will never hate you. You said at first, what about now?"

"I don't know, you act differently around her, I guess it unnerves me," Avery tried to explain but failed miserably.

"Well, that to be expected, she is my mum. I can't act the same around her like I do everyone. She demands a certain level of respect," I explained with a laugh.

"Why?"

I tilted my head in confusion. "What do you mean? Every parent demands respect from their children." Avery didn't say anything as he tilted his own head. "You do have parents don't you?"

Avery carefully shook his head wondering if that was something wrong. "My parents left me on the steps into the temple."

My eyes grew wide as I looked at Avery. "Avery, I'm so sorry." I looked over him as he hunched his shoulders. I noticed that he was playing with his necklace, flipping the scale over between his fingers. "Where did you get the necklace?"

"I do not know. It was with me when they found me. I thought it might have been from my family but I don't know," Avery explained as I brought him into a hug.

"We'll be your family from now on. The riders and me. We'll be your family!"

Avery gave me a happy smile which caused me to beam brightly. I'll make him happy. He has gone through enough.

Bang!

Jumping up, I spotted Sharpshot coming towards me. "Jet! There are dragon hunters on the beach! They are attacking!"