CHAPTER 11

John looked up at me and frowned. I looked up at him. It was as if we had a whole conversation, only using our eyes.

"Well, what are we gonna do now?" I broke the silence.

John shrugged and continued staring at the dusty floor of the van.

"I saw Lucy start running," I stated.

He nodded, still staring down at the floor.

"Come on John, don't feel down..." I begged.

He looked up at me. "Don't feel down?" He asked. "We are lost in the future, we lost the gem and we just lost Lucy who was our only hope of getting back home! That's what you say? Don't feel down?"

"Well... I don't know. Just try and be optimistic," I suggested.

"Yeah, sure," John replied sarcastically. He turned over to his side and laid down. He rested his arm under his head and used his elbow for a pillow. He closed his heavy eyelids. He sighed as if he was in immense discomfort.

"John... You alright?" I asked, concerned.

"Feel like I'm gonna pass out," He said quietly, "Haven't eaten or slept."

"Hope you feel better," I said with sympathy as I scooted over to him. I rested my hand on his.

"Thank you," He said very quietly.

I sighed and looked outside the small glass pane of the window to the back of the van. My eyes widened.

"John!" I screeched.

I heard a gasp from the drivers seat. "Be quiet back there." The cop driving said.

"What?" John croaked. His almond shaped eyes cracked open and gazed at me.

I went over to John and whispered to him, "Lucy's coming!"

Lucy's P.O.V

I grabbed a bike I found around a pole to follow the van. I pedaled furiously on the bike I found to try and catch up to the speeding van. I squinted too try and get a glimpse of what was ahead of me. Paul! I could see Paul in the back window! He looked so scared, poor thing.

I waved at him to try and get his attention, once he saw me, his eyes widened and he shouted something, he then went away and came back to the window with John, he looked terrible, tired and weak!

I pedaled faster and got closer to the van, I was now only a couple of metres away.

"Open the door!" I shouted, my voice pushing itself through the strong wind. They couldn't hear me because the back of the van was soundproof.

I pedaled faster and I was now centimetres away from the van. I reached out for the handle on the back door and tried pulling it, what would make me think that they wouldn't lock the door?

"It's locked!" I shouted.

They signaled to me that they couldn't hear me. I then risked my life. I stepped off my bike and onto the back platform letting the bike fall and scrape on the road, it immediately disappeared into the distance.

Paul looked so happy to see me. It was almost like he was crying tears of joy! I looked in through the window and signaled them to look around for something to smash the glass or open the door with. There was nothing. You've got to be kidding me!

John's P.O.V

Now I knew why Paul was so excited. Lucy was behind us, riding a bike, she eventually caught up to us, she then stepped off the bike onto the back of the van. I gasped at her next action, she could have killed herself stepping off that bike! She gripped the handle for her dear life and looked up at us.

She signaled us to look around for something to break the window but there was nothing. She looked pissed. How could we break the window? I was about to ask her, but Paul quickly covered my mouth. I looked at him, confusion written all over my face.

"We can't let the driver know about Lucy. He can hear us," He whispered pointing to the drivers seat.

We looked over at Lucy outside the window. "How?" I mouthed.

She pointed towards her elbow. Before I could say anything I felt the world spin around me, but only for a second. I pressed my palm against my forehead and started breathing heavily.

"John! Are you alright?" Paul whispered.

I looked at Paul and sighed. I then collapsed, hitting my head on the door.

Paul's P.O.V

"John!" I whispered, grabbing the collar of his leather jacket and lifting him up, his eyes still closed. I stared at him, wide eyed.

"John!" I continued whispering. I shook him harder, his head dangling on his shoulders. He was out cold! 

I glanced over outside at Lucy, she had as much worry on her face as I did.

"What do I do?" I mouthed frantically.

"Try and break the glass," She mouthed.

"But what about John?" I mouthed. I could feel the salty tears stinging my eyes.

"Calm down, Paul," She mouthed.

I gulped and took a deep, quivering breath. I closed my eyes and let the worry drain from me. I opened my eyes slowly.

"Just try and break the glass, then we can escape and find help for John," She mouthed calmly.

I stared at Lucy. I stared at John. John was the strong one! I couldn't break a window!

"How?" I mouthed.

She pointed towards her elbow. I looked down at my elbow. Grazed from when I scraped it against the brick wall. I couldn't break a window! I was starting to freak out again.

"I can't!" I mouthed, my face covered in horror.

"You've got to, please!" She begged.

But before I could do anything, her face lit up as if she remembered something. She lifted up a hand and signaled for me to wait. She lowered herself, I pressed my face against the glass to see what she was doing, she went near the bottom of the van and pulled some sort of safety switch.