7. Disappearance

When Ryan arrived to a quiet house the next day, with a bag of groceries in hand, he knew that Josh was gone. He had picked up the signs when Josh had showed up at his apartment the previous night, ranging from the fact that he had travelled on his motorbike and the fact that he was so calm and distant. It wasn't the first time. Ryan had seen it multiple times on tour when Josh would come along as a friend of Brendon's, or just as a journalist writing a special issue. He would act strange and then disappear for 24 hours, or more than 5 days without warning, always just meeting them at their next stop without an explanation of where he went.

It got to the point where the others would stop asking, just carry on in faith that Josh would always be back in the end. Nobody ever asked where he went and Josh didn't feel the need to tell anyone, not even Brendon who everyone believed knew everything about the young boy.

Ryan wasn't sure of the last time Josh left, but it definitely hadn't been recent.

Ryan began to put the groceries away in the silent house, knowing that he absolutely did not need to do this. Especially when Brendon was laid passed out on the couch. As always, Ryan ignored these facts, finishing what he was doing before leaving to go see Tyler.

Your highs and your lows

And your manic depression

It comes and it goes

-Andrew Jackson Jihad, People II: The reckoning

Tuesday had become Tyler's favourite day of the week. Technically, it had always been his favourite day considering Ryan and his' brunches, only now with the exception of brunch being an excuse to see Josh.

So as he sat down in the booth across from Ryan and Jenna served them he was happy, of course, albeit a bit confused. Josh was usually the first one to their table or at least making some fuss around the store. When Tyler was not met by the shrill sound of Josh's voice or his annoying face he was actually upset, so he voiced this curiosity to Ryan.

"Why isn't Josh working today? I thought he always worked Tuesdays." Tyler sighed.

"He's out of town." Ryan said casually.

Tyler gasped. "Instead of working? I mean, I thought he had bad morals but that's over the top!"

As Jenna returned to the pair with Ryan's usual and a new sickly sweet breakfast for Tyler, Tyler spoke up instead of thanking her. "Where's Josh today?" He asked.

"Oh, he texted me at like 3 am last night saying that he wasn't going to be in for a while. Didn't say how long though." Jenna explained, placing a hand on his hip. "Do you two know if he's okay?"

Ryan spoke up quickly. "He's fine."

Tyler and Jenna both turned to look at Ryan with an eyebrow raised.

"Since when does 'fine', ever mean fine?" Tyler asked.

"You're so dramatic." Ryan sighed. "Jenna, is it alright if we have some space?"

Jenna sighed and rolled her eyes, but still smiled. "That's okay, just let me know if my staff member is dead."

Tyler watched her until she made it to the coffee machine before surging forward across the table. "So, where is that brat?"

Ryan shrugged, sipping his coffee. "Hell if I know."

"Don't play dumb, Ross. I know he was with you before he disappeared." Tyler interrogated him.

"Ok, fine, he's buried under the complex. You can't tell anyone!" Ryan teased.

"Shut up, you asshole. Why won't you tell me?" Tyler pouted.