Chapter 1: Arrival

Author's notes:
A secondary character will be added to thicken the plot that is not part of the actual Twilight series.
Also, I'll be including photos every once in awhile to set the mood.
This is actually my first real fanfic I've ever written, so hopefully it's okay! Enjoy!
____________________________________

You stare out the front window of your truck, sighing. The engine putters as you stop at a red light. Your truck had never been functional, especially since you grew up in Seattle, known for its thin strips of tightly wound streets. You couldn't help but love your tiny old truck though. You were a sucker for its character. The chipped forest green paint, and the smell of the gas when you first started it up in the mornings. The windows would often fog up, so you had to keep an old rag on hand to wipe them down from time to time.
You were currently headed for Forks, Washington. After a break-in at your house, and getting threatened at school, your parents decided to send you away to finish the rest of your high school career in peace. Your mother was the head of a very controversial, upcoming tech company. Therefore, most people in Seattle knew your family. It was uncomfortable for you to be in the public eye. And after your family had been put in danger... you felt a bit relieved to be heading away from the direction of the city.
Still though.. going somewhere new is scary. Of course, Forks technically wasn't new for you. You used to visit your grandparents who live there every year as a child during the summer. You'd spend time at the beach, and hike the local trails. It was one of your fondest childhood memories. You smiled slightly recalling it. It was a comforting thought. You drifted deeper into these memories, trying to pull at the details.
A car horn soon brings you back to reality. The light had turned green, and the people behind you were impatient. Startled, and slightly embarrassed, you waved your hand as if to say "sorry!" And quickly stepped on the gas. Your little truck revved back to life, and the journey continued.
You turned up the volume on the stereo, fidgeting with the dial until the music was just slightly too loud. You liked it this way. It drowned out everything else. You had always had a fondness for music, and driving gave you the perfect excuse to spend hours enjoying it. In fact, before you left you had made a specific playlist just for the drive up to forks. 'Cherry Wine' by Hozier played softly, and you hummed along it.
Before you knew it, you were making a turn pass the small construction store, and down the main road of Forks. Looking at the scribbled directions your father had written you on the back of a receipt, you squinted in confusion.
"Go.. left? Go left where?"
Somehow he had expected you to remember where to go.. even though the last time you were here you'd been in a car seat. Finally, after going in what seemed like literal circles, you pulled over at a diner.
Parking half-hazardly, you tuck your hair behind your ear and step out of your truck. You meant to braid your hair last night, but forgot, so you took the opportunity to throw it up into a half ponytail. As you shut your truck door, (more like slammed, since it didn't close easily,) you glanced around. Instantly you cool feel the dampness of the area around you. It wasn't raining.. but it felt like it was. There was so much mist in the air that you could instantly feel the cold starting to get to you. After taking a second to grimace at your slightly terrible parking job, you hurried into the diner, taking care to notice a little bell that jingled when you opened the door. There was a worker at the counter, and you walked up to him. On a closer look, you realized he looked about your age. He had curly black hair, and surprisingly tan skin for someone living in Washington. He glanced up, squinting for a second. You could tell he was trying to figure out if you were a local. You clear your throat awkwardly, and he snaps back to reality. "Table for one?" He asks, reaching to grab a menu.
You open your hands slightly, shaking your palms.
"Oh! no, no." You mumble awkwardly. "I actually.. I-uh, I need directions. My dad tried to write some down for me but they don't really make sense. I'm hoping you can help."
The boy smiles. "I definitely can." You glance down at his name tag, taking a second to read it. In slightly sloppy handwriting, it read: 'Anthony.'
"Thanks.. Anthony." Saying his name felt instantly awkward, as if you somehow were pals with him. He didn't seem to mind though, and you were glad for it.
You show him the address written down on the paper. "I tried to use GPS but I get no service out here."
Anthony chuckled, holding the sticky note close to his face to read it. "I don't have my glasses on me," he explains, before handing it back to her. "Most people around here don't really have phones.. or use them at least. You'd have to climb a mountain to get a bar of service."
You grimace. "That's what I was afraid of." You make a mental note to make sure to check if your grandparents have WiFi. "So.. where am I going exactly?"
Anthony raised his eyebrows, tensing slightly. "I'm off in.. six minutes exactly. If you want to wait, I can just drive you there? That way you won't get lost again."
This seemed like an odd suggestion to you, but you shrugged. "Sure I guess. I'll wait in my truck."
Anthony smiled. "See you again in... five minutes and twenty seconds." He shot a playful finger gun at you. You gave him a hesitant smile back, before walking back out of the diner and hopping back into your truck.
This town sure was strange.. everyone seemed friendly though. At least, Anthony did. As you stared out the window, (it was fogging up slightly already,) you noticed something. A few really nice cars were pulling out of a parking lot. You could barely see the faces behind the wheel of the cars, but something about it stuck with you.
You watched as the cars went down the road, and soon out of sight. In the back of your mind, you made a mental note to figure out who the owners were. But before you could get into further planning, a knock on your window jolted you. "Warning next time!" You complained. Anthony grinned, "Hey, I'm driving, you are obligated to be nice to me." You sigh, giving him a half smile. Now that he was out of his work uniform, he actually was pretty handsome. It was in a rough, earthy way. You could now see his eyes were a dark green, like the pine trees surrounding you. "Alright. Can you even drive this thing though?"
He laughed. "Oh please, my parents are farmers. I've been driving tractors since I was five. I'm sure I can handle this little thing." He knocks on the hood of your truck.
"Just.. be careful." You hesitate before getting out and letting him take over the wheel. As he pulls out of the parking lot and down the road, you take a deep breath. It was the first time you'd really taken a second to look around.
Beautiful, green trees seemed to fence in every road, and mountains and mist clouds littered the horizons.
"It's really beautiful here.. it's so green. At least, compared to Seattle."
Anthony wrinkles his nose. "It's alright I guess. Hey, by the way.. why are you going to Mr. and Mrs.Abernathy's house? How do you know them?"
This took you by surprise, and you whipped your gaze from the window to face him.
"How do you know them?"
"This town is small. And, I used to rake leaves in their yard every summer for five bucks. Anyways, I asked first."
You raise an eyebrow, turning your eyes back to the road. "They are my grandparents. I'm staying with them for the rest of this year, to finish up high school."
Anthony's eyes perk up. "You're going to high school here? Wait.. YOU are the new girl?! Oh man.. I got to meet you first?! That rocks! My friends owe me a five."
You squint, confused. "Wh- people already know about me..? And why do they owe you a five.. I- did you bet on me?"
He grinned, "Yep, but that's a secret. Anyways, we are here. I'll see you in school, uh-"
He pauses. "..I never caught your name."
You let yourself laugh a bit. "My name is (y/n)."
He grins. "That's a nice name. Well it's nice to meet you (y/n) Abernathy. Welcome to Forks."
He reaches across you, and opens the door on your side. You smile. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

END OF CHAPTER 1. CHAPTER 2 TO FOLLOW!
___________________________________
I hope everyone enjoyed it! This chapter was a lot of background/setting work, sorry there has been little to no mention of our lovely vampire kids yet. I promise, soon! This was really fun to write though, as as someone who goes to Forks a lot (and lives near it) it was awesome to incorporate some aspects of the actual town into the writing. Anyways, hope you enjoyed! Chapter 2 soon! ✨