Chapter 5: The Meadow

It had been a few days. After successfully ignoring and avoiding almost everyone at school (especially the Cullens) You were starting to finally settle in.
The regular pattern of school was starting to come easier, and so was settling into your new living situation.
Today you had headed to school early, since it was somewhat nice out. As you parked and got out of your truck, you looked around. There were a few other cars in the parking lot, mainly those who played sports. The Cullen cars caught your eye though, and you took extra care to stay far away from them.
Walking up the hill, you sat down in the small meadow behind the school. You had found it yesterday, and decided it was a perfect place to draw. Sitting down in the damp grass, you pull out your sketchbook and a pencil from your bag.
You flipped it open to a blank page, staring at it for a moment. The blank void sucked you in. "What should I draw..?" You mumble to yourself, sighing softly. Your mind floats to Jasper, but you push it away. Finally, you start sketching the meadow around you.
You weren't sure how long it had been, you often got lost within yourself when drawing. Soon though, a voice jolts you from the page.
"It's really good."
You look up, your eyes widening. There in-front of you was the golden haired, pale skinned boy. You were so stunned, all you managed to get out was,
"W-what?"
"The drawing, its really good." His face has a soft seriousness to it, if that were even possible. He seemed so hard around the edges, and so soft on the inside. He was impossible to completely figure out.
"Mind if you I join you?" He looks you right in your eyes, not breaking the eye contact.
"O-oh uh.. y-yes! Sure! I mean, no I don't mind."
You stutter, still very confused. You think about the face he made at you, and how he rushed out of the class; Edward's warning, and how he was always on your mind...
"What are you doing here?" You ask, going stiff as he sits next to you. Your heart raced in your chest.
"I often go for walks in the morning." He says simply, glancing off into the woods. "I didn't expect to see you here, though."
"Oh- I can leave if you want me to.. I didn't realize this field was claimed already."
You didn't mean for it to be funny, but he chuckled slightly. His laugh was sweet.
"No, it's okay. It's not a bother, I can share."
He leans in slightly to see the artwork, and your face flushes. You could smell him now, some type of cologne and sweet smell mingled on his skin. It drew you in. He paused, his eyes flicking to you.
He was always so intense, and yet somehow calming at the same time. You two held each-other in your gaze for a prolonged minute, before he smiled, glancing up. "What's your name again?"
"(y/n) Abernathy."
He seems to let it sit in the air for a moment, before repeating it slowly.
"..(y/n).. that's a lovely name." You could pick up on a slight southern accent, and smiled at it. He glanced back at the school. "We have class together later.. I'll see you there." And with that, he stood up, shoved his hands in his pockets, and walked down the hill towards the school.
You open up your mouth to speak, but hesitate. As you packed up your things, your head raced with thoughts. Everything was so confusing and contradictory.. but he talked to you! And he looked at you..
You pack up your sketchbook and head down the field, completely dazed. The rest of the day was a blur, spent replaying the morning's events in your head.
When you got to your last class, you sat down in your regular spot, and pulled out your binder. Jasper walked in, hesitating at the door for a second. You quickly glance down, biting your lip. To your surprise though, instead of heading to his usual spot next to Edward, he sat right next to you.
"Hello there again." He said with his soft voice. He gives you a quick smile.
"Hi." You smile back, deciding not to question his seating choice. "Do you know how to do this?"
You point at the equation written across the board.
"Yes, here." He leans close to you again, taking the pencil from out of your hand. His pinkie brushed against the top of your hand, and you both pause, looking at each other.
He looked pained.
"Are you alright?" You ask, concerned.
He just looks away, grabbing for his bag and standing up. His chair fell back with a clang.
"I don't know why I thought I could do this." He murmured as he left the classroom. Behind you, Edward stood up sharply, gripping the desk.
"JASPER!" He hollered, but the golden haired boy was already gone. He made a growly sigh under his breath, cursing slightly. "I knew this would happen."
He starts to walk out of the classroom, but you don't let him. As you reached out and grabbed his arm, he turned back to you, his eyebrows scrunched together.
"Wait a minute! What is going on with him?"
"Nothing, mind your own business." He growls at you, snatching his arm back from your hand.
"It seems like my business." You retort, crossing your arms.
"Well it's not." He starts to walk out the door again, and you follow him.
"Too bad, I'm checking on him anyways." You persist, now double-y annoyed.
He whirls towards you, but before anything else could happen, a voice interrupted your argument.
"Edward! Lay off!"
It was Alice. "She's going to find out, Ive seen it. it's better we tell her now, so things aren't messy."
You glanced between the two, confused.
"Would someone please tell me what's going on?"
They exchanged glances, and Edward huffed, motioning towards the woods behind the school. "Since I guess we have no choice, meet us after school in the woods. We'll explain there. I'll go find Jasper and try to calm him down.."
And with that, Edward left without a second glance. Alice however, placed a hand on your shoulder. "I know this is confusing.. just, keep your mind open, okay? This is dangerous for all of us, I'm counting on you."
She looked deep into your eyes.
"I-uh, yeah, no, completely understood I'll uh- I'll see you after school I guess in the.. in the woods." You trailed off. Everything was so weird and cryptic,
It made you feel on edge. What was going on? It had the been the main question these last few days. You were glad it was finally going to addressed but.. something about it also brought a sense of fear.
You felt it in your chest as you turned away, headed to last period before the fateful meeting.

END OF CHAPTER 5, CHAPTER 6 TO FOLLOW.