Chapter 17: New Life

AUTHOR'S NOTE: So hopefully by now, you've all heard about or read Midnight Sun.. and hopefully you're freaking out like me because of excitement. Seriously.. FINALLY! Also.. thanks again for waiting for me for SO long to update.. especially on such a cliff-hanger. I hope this chapter makes up for it.
__________________________________

Soft.. and.. cold? You scrunched your nose gently, confused as how those two feelings could correlate together. Eyes still closed, you turned over gently. You just wanted ten more minutes of sleep, that's all.
But.. you felt pretty awake. You inhaled, before once more scrunching your nose in confusion. Why could you smell everything? You groaned slightly, sitting up and finally opening your eyes.
"Good morning."
The voice made you jump. It was Carlisle. Carlisle?
Oh...
The memories of the day prior hit you like a bus.
"How are you doing my dear?"
You were on his couch, wrapped up in a few blankets. You must've blacked out again..
"I'm.. uh.. I'm really-" you pause. "I'm really thirsty."
You breathe.
"Here, have this." Carlisle hands you a wine glass.
"Wine? It's early- actually.. after yesterday I need it."
You take a sip.
This was better than any wine.
Carlisle shakes his head, watching you gulp it down.
"It's not wine my dear. You are.. now one of us."
The words seemed to be forced. He evidentially was not happy about this.
You let the words sink in. You are one of us.
"...What happens now?"
"What happens now.. is that we figure out where you live for the time-being. You're going to extremely on edge for awhile.. newborns always are. We will go collect your things from your grandparent's house. You can never see them again."
The statement hit you like a truck. Never again..? What about your parents..? What about Anthony?
Your friends back in Seattle? Everything getting yanked away in a moment left you breathless.. quite literally.
"Oh." Was all you could manage to get out.
The sound of the doorknob turning made your eyes flit up. You'd never been able to hear a doorknob turn till now.
And then, there he was. "Jasper."
He stood rigid, eyes almost... harsh? The emotion behind it made you confused. Was he mad?
"I didn't want it to be this way." He murmured. Carlisle glanced up at him from the couch, sighing softly.
"You shouldn't be like this.. and it's all my fault."
"No- Jasper none of this is your fault. It's mine, don't blame yourself."
"Maybe you're right." Jasper snapped. Your eyes flew open with shock, and he turned away.
"Jasper." Carlisle said sternly. Jasper flung back towards him, gripping the edge of the sofa. His fingernails sunk into the fabric like it was skin.
"All I can see when I look at her is reflections of who I used to be. She's not supposed to be like that! She's just another person I care about who I wasn't able to save."
By the end of his words, Carlisle had stood up, and placed a hand on Jasper's shoulder. You watched, absolutely unsure of what to do.
"That's why you need to be strong for her now. She's not gone Jasper."
He breathed out a heavy sigh, his forehead coming down and resting on Carlisle's shoulder.
"Give me five minutes alone with her.. I'll bring her down after that."
Carlisle nods, waiting for Jasper to compose himself, before quietly leaving.

Jasper stared at you with oncemore conflicted eyes, still standing rigidly across the room. That's how it always was.
"I'm sorry." He finally said.
You shook your head, "no- Jasper it's okay." You took a few steps forward, hands stretched out towards him slightly.
"No- don't come close-"
You did, until you were right underneath his nose. There were so many new senses to explore. You could somehow feel his presence.. everything about him seem magnified. It was beautiful.
"It's not like that anymore." You whisper, placing a hand on his cheek. "We don't have to be scared of eachother anymore."
He stares down at you for a moment, and slowly his expression fades from conflict and anger to something softer.
He reaches up to your face, and pulls you in. Your lips meet his. And though you knew you couldn't feel warmth.. you weren't so sure anymore.
You reach up too, trying to pull him closer. Instead, you yank both of you onto the couch.
Right.. strength.

Jasper, now on-top of you, slid his hand gently from your cheek to your waist. You ruffled your fingers through his hair, surprised by how soft it was.
He pulled at your waist gently, almost as if to remind himself you were real and material.
his mouth moved from your lips down to your neck, leaving gentle little kisses. Then, something a bit harsher. He bit down (still decently gently) causing your eyes to flutter open in surprise. His expression oncemore looked harsh. "You belong to me." He growled under his breath, his bites moving down from your neck to your collarbones. "You're mine." He growls, biting extra hard over the collarbone that James had sunk his teeth into the day before.
Jasper's eyes flitted down to it, and he paused, his expression changing oncemore. He sat there, frozen, staring down at you. Finally, he leaned back down again and gently kissed you on the bite oncemore.
"I'll never let you down like that again." He whispers, his eyes flitting up to yours. His gaze never failed to make your stomach flutter.
"I know. But you never let me down. You've always been perfect."
"And look at you now.. god.." he sits up, motioning towards you.
You raise an eyebrow, and stand up, walking to the nearby mirror that was hung on one of the walls.
Purple marks traced their way down your neck and onto your collarbones. The brightest one was over the bite.
You still had enough blood left in your system to bruise apparently.
"I got carried away.. I'm sorry."
"Stop apologizing." You groan. "Let me just enjoy this moment."
"I'm not apologizing for that.. I'm apologizing for what comes next."

——-

You stand in the main living room, bright red. (Not really, but, if you could blush you certainly would be.)
You pray that the hickies have healed by now, but, by the way that Jasper was staring at the ground and everyone else was staring at your neck, you could tell they weren't.
"Sounds like you two had a good reunion." Rosalie remarks, still as tart as ever.
"Looks like it too." Emmett snickers, stopping when Rosalie elbows him.
"Welcome to the family." Esme smiles, pulling you in for a hug. You gladly accept it, breathing out a sigh of relief.
Carlisle smiles too. "Now.. we need to take you to your new home for the time being."
Your expression drops. Esme pulls away with a worried look on her face.
New home?
"What do you mean?" You ask, confused. Your eyes drift to Jasper. His are still on the floor.
"There's too many people in this town.. If you run into anyone.. it could be messy."
"More than messy." Edward remarks.
"That's why... you have to leave."

END OF CHAPTER 17. CHAPTER 18 TO COME.
_______________________________

Author's note: once again, thanks for bearing with me and my huge gaps in between writing. I hope you enjoyed the chapter! See y'all soon!