Chapter 16: The Bite

The faces that greeted you when you got back to the Cullen's house were a bit stormy. With no luck catching James, seeing you back was quite possibly the last thing they wanted at the moment.
"I just don't understand why you had to bring her back here." Edward hissed through clenched teeth, pinching the bridge of his nose. Jasper growled slightly, running a hand through his hair.
"I had to come back before we left. It's only for a short time. We're going to Carlisle's island home. I had to get everything arranged first, but we'll be gone by tomorrow."
Carlisle raised an eyebrow.
"Were you planning on asking?"
Jasper let out a sigh of frustration. "Are you serious?"
"Jasper, we need to think this through. Maybe it's best if she just stays here. We can protect her."

After about thirty minutes of debating, it was settled. You'd be heading out tomorrow with Jasper. He had ruthlessly argued until he got his way.
He drove you back to your grandparent's house, helping you sneak through the window.
"Pack. Quickly. I'll be back in an hour or so."
And just like that, he was gone.
You sighed softly, sitting down on your bed. Remmy had been curled up on your pillow, and let out a small meow for a greeting. He seemed to ask,
'What are you doing here?'
You sighed softly, giving him a soft pet.
"I don't even know, Remmy." You mumbled, oncemore letting a huff escape your chest.
You flopped your head down onto the pillow, letting your arms dangle off the bed. Staring up at the ceiling, you counted the small plastic stars sloppily pinned to it. They didn't glow anymore, but you couldn't bring yourself to take them down.
"Jesus." You mumbled, sitting back up and heading to your dresser.
Seriously, what even was going on? Even though your life was crazy in Seattle.. maybe it was for the better. You shook your head. No. You loved Jasper.
"What do I even pack?" You mumbled to yourself, rummaging through the top drawer.

"Maybe a nice little dress?"
Pure dread filled your body at the sound of that voice. Frozen, your heart beat faster than any rabbit or jaguar could run. Slowly, you turned around.
Seeing him confirmed it. James was standing by your open window, a smirk on his face.
"I found you."
Stumbling backwards, you leaned against your bedside table, your hand scrambling for any weapon close by. You pointed it at him in terror. "G-Get back!"
His eyes slid down to what your hand was holding, and yours did too. A butter knife.
He chuckled, an amused grin spreading across his face.
"How cute."
"I-I'm serious-" you sputtered out, eyes flicking around the room. Searching. For anything.
Jasper.. where are you?
You silently begged him to somehow hear you. He had promised to come back in an hour though.. and it had maybe only been 20 minutes at most. "I'll scream!" You threaten once-more, your back pressing against the wall as he moved closer to you.
He was maybe a foot from you now, staring you down with those blood red eyes.
"You better."
His fist swung towards you. A quick crack, a flash of pain, and then just black.

You woke up in a field. There wasn't much around you to tell where you were, but you could hear the sound of the sea in the distance.
Shit.. were you on the Rez? You had no idea.
You sat up, groaning as a sharp pain made itself known. Touching your hand to your cheekbone, you scowled as your fingers returned red. The memories returned too.
James.

It's as if thinking his name made him appear. There he was, in front of you. He said something a smart ass would say, and then picked you up by the hair. The pain oncemore drowned out his words. You couldn't focus on anything.. was this it?
He tossed you again on the ground, the coldness and sharpness of it all making your teeth clench together.
No, you had to fight.
You stumbled to your feet, turning your back, and running. It was all you could do.
In a second, his hand was around your waist, flinging you backwards.
You flew across the field, landing oncemore in the dirt. You could hear a noise escape your mouth. Fight- but- run.. you didn't know what to do. It was all too much. He tossed you around a bit more. Eventually you could feel yourself giving up. After once again getting your facefull of dirt, you knew things were coming to an end. He stepped close to you, leaning in.
This time he bent down and tilted your head.
He made sure you heard this.
"I'm doing this because nobody will miss you. And none of your little vampire friends will even remember you after a century or two. See.. that's why I like you so much. I know I'm doing you a favor."
You braced yourself. It was all you could do. Jasper's golden eyes.. sunny smile. It all filled your head. Silently, you left him a small love letter in your head.
It was a brief moment of peace.