Chapter 8: The Risk

You woke to two hushed voices arguing.
"Clearly we cant afford to risk it! We know nothing about her!"
"That's why we just have to get to know her! And Alice's visions will keep us one step ahead."
You let out a small groan, stretching. There was a soft blanket on top of you, and you took the opportunity to cling closer to it.
"I just had the strangest dream.." you mumble. It really was odd, the idea of Jasper and his family of vampires.
As you come back to reality a bit more and glance around, you re-realize that you were indeed in the Cullen's house. That everything in your 'dream' had been real.
"Oh." Was all you could get out.
Carlisle came and knelt beside you, holding out a glass of water. He flicked a small flashlight on, and it made you wince. Once checking your eyes, he nodded, and stood back up.
"You passed out a little while ago (y/n).. what do you remember?"
"I- you're-" that's all you had to say. He sighed softly, nodding.
"I see. I believe you passed out from stress. I called your grandparents last night, and told them that you'd be home safe."
You nodded, still not quite all there yet. "Thanks..i- wait.. yesterday?"
You look out the window. It was pitch black out, quite different than the light during 'dinner.'
"Relax, it's only 12:30." Rosalie mutters. Alice putters in, sitting beside you.
"Maybe you should go talk to Jasper.. He's pretty upset about all this, you might be able to calm him down."
"Or rile him up."
"Oh shut up Rosalie." Alice quipped, helping you get up. You nodded, looking around. Alice blinked. "Oh-right. He's outside."
You headed down the stairs and to the back door. For a moment you hesitated, not quite willing to turn the handle.
If you did, it meant you accepted all this. It meant you were changing your life. It was a new secret, a bigger one than you had ever dealt with before.
But deep down in your heart, you knew it felt right, even if it was unexplainable. You'd never felt like you were quite made for the life you had lived up till now. You'd never felt normal. The you felt things, and what you wanted to feel. It was so different than every other teen you knew. And Jasper.. when you looked at him, something in you shifted. You just knew.
So, slowly, you turned the handle and stepped outside. You couldn't see him. Walking down into the woods, you stopped right where the house light started to fade. "Jasper?"
There he was. He turned around, peering at you with those brilliant eyes. Even when they weren't glistening gold, they still made you feel dizzy.
"I didn't know." He whispered, shaking his head softly. "I saw you and- it's like everything shifted. I've always felt so lost, so.." he trailed off, changing his thought. "I've always felt I have no direction.. till I saw you. That day, and you-" he paused again, as if the words physically hurt him. "You, (y/n), something about you is different. I can't think when I'm near you.. and you-" he pauses, looking away in shame. "You are.. overwhelming to my senses. And I didn't realize till now why that was. But- (y/n), I can't-" he takes a step towards you, looking at you with a sad and longing stare. "I can't do it. I'm not strong enough."
You shake your head, taking a step towards him. "I don't understand, what aren't you strong enough to do? Why- what about me is stopping you? Nothing has ever felt as right as when you spoke to me that day in the meadow.." you murmur, getting closer to him. He takes a step back.
"Stop. Don't come any closer." He says in a harsher tone. It startles you.
"So what then? Is it just me? I know you felt it too, you can't just take back what you just said! I just want to be able to know you.. to be near you.. What am I doing wrong?"
His eyes widen. "(Y/n)..." he whispers. "You couldn't ever possibly do anything wrong. It's me,"
You scoff. "Are you serious? It's not you, it's me? You're seriously going to use that lame excuse?"
You go to turn and walk away, but in a rush he grabs your wrist.
"(Y/n) stop, just- stay!" And in a moment, he pulls you closer, brushing his fingertips against your cheek. They were ice cold. You look into his eyes, utterly mesmerized. "It's all for you. Why I've held on this long.. it never made sense till now. But now I see why.."
you breathed in his sweet scent, feeling once more a bit dizzy. "Well- then.." you pause as his fingers once more trace on your cheek. "I suppose we need to get to know each other better.." you mumble quietly, feeling tipsy from him being so close. He took a step back, a small lopsided grin on his face. He let out a small chuckle.
"What?" You asked, confused.
"Nothing, it's just.. you learn that we are vampires and- your first thought is to find a time to hang out."
You blush, suddenly embarrassed. "Well I-"
"No, it's a great idea. I promise. How about tomorrow? Since it's Saturday you can come over any time. But- we have to take things slow.. I don't know how much I can handle."
You nod. "Noted. I'll make sure not to sit in a 5 mile radius of you."
He rolled his eyes, and you let a small smile prickle onto your lips. Maybe this would work out.
You headed home after saying goodnight to Carlisle and the rest of the family, feeling almost numb.
Once you got home and safely in your own bed, you let the weight of everything come crashing down on you. As your head swirled with thoughts, you knew one thing for certain:
You were in love with a vampire, and apparently, it was fated to be.

END OF CHAPTER 8! Sorry this chapter was kinda small, it was a bit of a plot builder. I hope you are enjoying so far! Chapter 9 to follow soon!