Chapter 1

"Yeah? you got them?"

Tons of papers surround me like they wanted to be noticed and read. Letters have been filed up at the side of my desk lamp, some of it are inside the drawer peeking like they needed to be opened. Law books are completely out of place in the shelves. used books are just placed on top of the lined books, some are still left open placed on the other side of the table next to me.

In front of me is a 200-page case papers that I still need to review for my 4 pm court hearing.

"I need the papers ASAP, Herm."

I randomly shuffle and skim the hard copy of words in front of me trying my best to understand them while dealing with only 3 hours of sleep last night, 2 cups of black coffee and a 5-year old kid who gives an unending story of his day at school and needing to be lulled before going to sleep.

"Okay, okay, I know that I can count on you. Alright, see you later, bye."

I start to stand up and check my watch. It's 7:00 in the morning. 

Gotta send my boy to school, I thought to myself. 

I walked out of my office and into the kitchen. Yes I have an office inside my house if you're wondering. A small but perfectly suitable room for all of my paperwork and personal stuffs. It's kind of messy this week because of the case that I'm handling presently. The case seems pretty critical and I really need to work on the stuff, intense investigation and re-reading of the whole court papers. 

This week of the year is probably the busiest time of the year for my job. There's a good pay ahead but it will take all your guts and physical effort to make a good job out of this.

I walked into the kitchen and Tia Ora is fixing breakfast for me and Max. The smell of frying bacon and sunny side up eggs wants me to take a long seat and devour every last piece of the food.

"Hey Tia Ora, food's smelling great. You really don't get tired of preparing the best comida for us, eh?" I said while I opened the cabinet to get a cup for my coffee.

"Oh hijo, always a child to me even you're all grown up", Tia Ora tapped my back as her other hand expertly cooked the eggs.

Tia Ora is my second mama. Not biologically but physically. She's been always around my existence since I was 4 months old. She knows my life, literally. I think that only two person really know my life, my past and all my successes and failures. She was and always will be around comforting me, cheering me up and cooking my favorite dish - tender pork in tamarind broth or we call it "sinigang na baboy". Mmmmm that tastes yummy just thinking of it.

I walked around the kitchen table and went to get the hot brewed coffee that Tia Ora prepared earlier. Tia Ora wakes up at 5:30 in the morning everyday and starts with cleaning the garden as part of her routine exercise. Mind you that she is 65 years old and still the strongest and most energetic woman you'll ever see. I would wake up at 6:00 am, and go directly to my room window overlooking the beach meters ahead from our house and beside it you'll see the extensive structure of Las Palmas, one of the busiest cities in the Gran Canaria Island. After a minute or so, I'd shower and go to my office to check and re-read some papers for the day's court hearing.

Yes. You're thinking it all right. I'm a lawyer but not a liar. Some pueblo would be saying that this profession is nothing but all lies. It is not true. We're telling you, this profession is not about lying but it's just laying all evidences to win a case. anyway, I don't want to make this profession even more complicated than what it really is.

I poured a glass of the coffee and put 2 creamers in it. The aroma is just so great that when I go back from the office every evening, I would drink another cup of this masterpiece. Even bet you that this tastes better than Starbucks.

I read the newspaper on the dining table and max comes running down the stairs ready  to go to school. Max is my son and my only 5-year old son. Love him with all my life and would never leave him. Sadly, her mother died when he was born. It may be 5 years ago but I still miss her a lot. Been very busy ever since just to forget the ache. Maximillian, since that day, is always with me together with Tia Ora. He is a great blessing and my inspiration every bad day that I'm having. The cutest and the most adorable kid that I have. He's smart and he knows what he wants and really, when he says he likes something, he really likes that something. Just like his old man, isn't it?

"Papa!" cried Max. "we should get going, I'm going to be late to school"

"Oh no you aren't" I said, "in fact you still need to eat Tia Ora's bacon and eggs. She made it specially for you"

"But it's almost alas otso" max said, pouting.

"I believe you need to wear glasses, honey, cause it's only 7:15 am and your school doesn't start until 8:00 am"

"Ohh" he realize at last.

"C'mon. Eat so that you'll have energy when you go to school"

Max, Tia Ora and I settled down on the dining area and we started to eat breakfast when the phone rang.

"I got it" i said and walk to the telephone.

"hello? mmm... yes.

"All right, then good. I'll see her later when I get back."

I put the phone down and walked back to the table. Tia Ora is drinking her coffee.

"Tia Ora, I guess the new governess will be arriving today."

"Mmmm, that's good" while she put the glass down.

"What's good, the coffee or the governess arriving?" I funnily ask.

"Both" she reply sleepily still looking at her coffee then to me.

"Then okay, I didn't expect that they will respond fast with the governess." I get up and started cleaning my suit.

"C'mon Maxim, or you'll be late this time". I walked out of the house and into the Porsche car I own. Max sat inside the passenger seat and I started to drive. A weird feeling went inside my body but I just brushed it up. I didn't even know that today, my life would totally change.